Shadow angle, Wall

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
eco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Shadow angle, Wall

Post by eco »

Most entities have a shadow facing at a 90 degree angle to the right. The only exception that I know of, and it confuses me every time I notice it, is the wall. The wall has a shadow facing at a 45 degree to the bottom right. See, for example, some pictures from the wiki,

or this week's blog post, https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-378,

eco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Shadow angle, Wall

Post by eco »

I did not know about Support > Bug Reports > Minor issues. Can I somehow move this over there?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

(Edit:) This is probably no bug. It's probably a means to make shadows visible to get a better illusion of 3D, even when they aren't 100% physically correct. Better 3D is achieved if the sun isn't exactly at 9 o'clock but at 10 o'clock, so the shadows are cast a little bit to the south as well, and lower building shadows seems to be made like this. However, taller buildings such as power poles seem to cast their shadow as if the sun is in 9 o'clock.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

eco wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:35 am
I did not know about Support > Bug Reports > Minor issues. Can I somehow move this over there?
You can't create threads directly in the subsections of the Bug Reports subforum. It's up the devs to classify it, then either they or the moderators will move as needed. You should have created this thread in the Bug Reports subforum, though, and while you cannot move it there yourself, a moderator could.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Indeed, I can move it :).

[Koub] Moved to Bug reports.

I didn't move it immediately, because it was ported in general discussion, and I interpreted it as a ... general discussion on shadows.

I've seen a similar bug report had been corrected recently : viewtopic.php?f=230&t=8897
Maybe it's the same actual bug, or something similar, can't tell, as the images in the older post are long lost.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Minor issues”