Very poor error message when attempting to load a not-mod

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
274Below
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Very poor error message when attempting to load a not-mod

Post by 274Below »

So, on my server, I went and downloaded a mod:

Code: Select all

$ wget https://mods.factorio.com/api/downloads/data/mods/57/Flow%20Control_2.1.2.zip
Started the server, and got the following incredibly not-useful error message and a server crash:

Code: Select all

Error Util.cpp:57: Opening zip /opt/factorio/data/instance2/write/mods/Flow Control_2.1.2.zip failed: Success
This is not a helpful error message when you save a copy of the mods.factorio.com login page as the .zip file instead, which is exactly what happens when you use wget to download the files without also passing it your related cookies. I would hope that factorio whines in the log appropriately about it not being able to open a .zip (as it isn't a .zip) and then continue loading the server.

I also definitely didn't spend more than a day trying to fix this.

Also happened over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... tall_mods/

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Very poor error message when attempting to load a not-mod

Post by Rseding91 »

What kind of error would you expect? If the zip fails to open the best we can do is say "it failed to open". We don't know why - maybe it's corrupt - maybe someone downloaded a webpage and saved it with the extension .zip.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

274Below
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Very poor error message when attempting to load a not-mod

Post by 274Below »

I wouldn't expect "Failed: Success" to be the error message plus a server crash. Ideally it'd say something akin to "Unable to parse .zip file."

The 'bug' here is the "Failed: Success" bit. It doesn't actually tell you what the problem is, just that something failed while succeeding.

Return to “Minor issues”