[Twinsen]Programmable Speakers stack too loudly

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Twinsen]Programmable Speakers stack too loudly

Post by Light »

When using the same sound for programmable speakers they stack to ear piercingly high levels.

What I built was a little power grid detection system that alerted me if biters broke the grid on my defense perimeter, with a speaker every few poles apart so I could find the exact location the grid was down. Removing the polyphony since a single beep was enough.

The problem was, when many poles or the entire grid went down, my ears were in for a hell of a shock when the system went off all at once. I knew the grid stopped getting power, but my heart also stopped getting power too.

It would be nice if the client determined if the exact sound is already playing so it doesn't stack. My ears are still ringing and my volume was low at the time, so I'd thought I'd advise you of the risk before someone actually blows out their speakers or suffers a heart attack by accident.

Thank you for your time.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen]Programmable Speakers stack too loudly

Post by Twinsen »

This is an unfortunate consequence of how Programmable speakers and our sound mixer work.
Not allowing global polyphony would cause problems with players who use the programmable speaker to make songs.
While I feel sorry for your heart and the few others who will experience this, since it's a rare issue, combined with the fact that it's not easy to fix, I will unfortunately move this to minor issues.

Return to “Minor issues”