Connecting to a certain server crashes Internet!

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Evorionos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Connecting to a certain server crashes Internet!

Post by Evorionos »

Hi everyone
Since about 3 days I am experiencing issues with Factorio-Multiplayer in some cases. Starting off, I have found a nice server I like (OARC Spawn Scenario, with leveling system, so a few scripts on the server I suppose) and at first had no problems connecting to it. However, from the 2nd time trying to connect onwards, something weird seemed to happen in most cases: The download would start at high speed, about 10 Mb/s peak and get to maybe 50% progress. At this point, the connection rapidly drops and goes down completely, to 0 bit/s, upon which my PC loses connection AND the whole internet in my house goes down completely.

Worth noting is that this happens only on my PC which is connected via cable. I tried reproducing the rather annoying issue on my Laptop and at a friends house, both of which were unsuccessful, meaning that I had no issues connecting to the server. Maybe this is connected to download speed somehow? Both my friends PC and my laptop had a lower DL-speed, but I'm just guessing here because I'm totally in the dark about how to tackle this problem.

Down below I'll give further information on my specs and game-version, if it is of any help:

Game version: 0.15.16

CPU: Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40 GHz (not OC'd)
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1666 Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770

Also, I am not sure if this is even an issue related to Factorio directly, but since it happens only when playing Factorio i'm posting this here.

If you need any more information just ask. Thanks to anybody who can help me out with this issue!

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Connecting to a certain server crashes Internet!

Post by Distelzombie »

What does the event log in your Router/Modem show?
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Evorionos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Evorionos »

In my router, I found "System Log" but no event log. I assume this is the same thing. While reproducing the error I noticed that the system log works just fine before the connection goes down. After that, the router can take up to 20-25 min to respond again and during this time the internet does obviously not work. Now after it works again, here is the system log:

Code: Select all

Date,Time,Component,Severity,Details
01.01.2009,01:16:08,Swisscom,Warning,total number of devices in LAN: 11
01.01.2009,01:16:08,Swisscom,Warning,total xdsl down: 25
01.01.2009,01:16:08,Swisscom,Warning,total xdsl down: 25
01.01.2009,01:16:08,Swisscom,Warning,total xdsl up: 97
01.01.2009,01:16:08,Swisscom,Warning,total xdsl up: 97
01.01.2009,01:16:08,Swisscom,Warning,total fiber down: 0
01.01.2009,01:16:08,Swisscom,Warning,total fiber down: 0
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,total fiber up: 0
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,total fiber up: 0
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totaluserreboot: 10
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totaluserreboot: 10
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totalspontaneousreboot: 20
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totalspontaneousreboot: 20
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totalpwoffreboot: 81
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totalpwoffreboot: 81
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totareboot: 111
01.01.2009,01:16:07,Swisscom,Warning,totareboot: 111
It seems that the date is reset to when this router was set up, and a number of errors are printed. I am not sure if this is of any help, would you expect there to be another kind of event-log?

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

I have a Fritz Box it shows things like

Code: Select all

11.05.17 04:12:22	IPv6 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: [deleted]
11.05.17 04:12:20	Internet connection established successfully. IP address:[deleted], DNS server: [deleted] and [deleted], gateway: [deleted]
11.05.17 04:12:16	Cable Internet available.
11.05.17 04:12:07	Cable Internet not responding (no synchronization).
11.05.17 04:12:07	Cable Internet available.
But yours is a system log. I mean something more like a Connection log. (Delete the IPs if you paste it in here)
Also it does not show errors. These are just warnings and they look like a normal things to log everytime the system boots. "warning" would be the type of verbose level the logging software is set to.

I cant say what "Warning,total xdsl down: 25" means. It looks like Mbps, but why "total"?
The only thing that looks weird is the amount of devices in the LAN. Do you really have 11 devices connected to your router?

It sounds like your router is crashing and restarting. It probably also detects something is wrong and performs a reset to factory defaults for some reason - but you didnt say you need to set all the settings in the router right again. (Like WLAN SSID or security) I assume you didnt change any at all after you first got the router and are using it with default settings. Then the system can perform a reset to factory defaults without you noticing.

Can you make a firmware update of the router? There should be an option to do that in the webinterface.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Evorionos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Evorionos »

I see, however my ISP does not provide this in the router settings. Could I use a program to get an equivalent log?
You're right, I mistook the warnings for errors.

It is Mbps, my connection has 100/25 down/upload. The amount of devices.. doesn't quite come close to it, I can count about 5-6 devices but not 11.

I did not have to configure any settings after the crashes, those are untouched (or, as you say just default, although I did change some settings and set up port forwarding e.g. for hosting minecraft servers). There is no newer firmware available. (Installed version is 6.16.12, "latest" is 6.14.00 which doesn't really make sense to me, since it seems I have a newer version than the newest, but I can't change anything there)

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

Evorionos wrote:I see, however my ISP does not provide this in the router settings. Could I use a program to get an equivalent log?
You're right, I mistook the warnings for errors.

It is Mbps, my connection has 100/25 down/upload. The amount of devices.. doesn't quite come close to it, I can count about 5-6 devices but not 11.

I did not have to configure any settings after the crashes, those are untouched (or, as you say just default, although I did change some settings and set up port forwarding e.g. for hosting minecraft servers). There is no newer firmware available. (Installed version is 6.16.12, "latest" is 6.14.00 which doesn't really make sense to me, since it seems I have a newer version than the newest, but I can't change anything there)
You could use a Teredo connection to the router and search its files. I did that once with a Fritz Box. But its complicated and probably wouldnt even help
I guess the 11 devices are all that have ever been connected to the LAN/WLAN.

Can you use different router? Maybe ask your ISP what they think about it. Since you havent bought the router, I guess, they are responsible for its function. (In my case I am only renting the router. ISP wants it back when contract ends)

Evorionos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Evorionos »

Thanks for your help! You guessed correctly, the router is only rented from the ISP, and I will probably call them tomorrow to report this issue. Hope they can do something.

EDIT: I contacted the ISP, they replaced the router and the issue is resolved for now.

Return to “Technical Help”