"Failed to resize backbuffer"

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

"Failed to resize backbuffer"

Post by Guenni7 »

No idea what happened, wasn't doing something special....
Got this errror and a black window.
factorio-current.log
(35.06 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
factorio-dump-previous.dmp
(675.29 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
There's no factorio-dump-current, I'm sorry.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "Failed to resize backbuffer"

Post by posila »

Based on the log you ran out of memory.
To alleviate the problem I suggest to increase maximum size of the page file in Windows.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-t ... 36929.html

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

Max page file is handled by windows itself and I had nothing open other than Factorio and Firefox with 5 tabs...?
Curious...
Doesn't "D3D11_ERROR: IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers failed in acknowledgeResize on line 1527. Error [0x8007000e] - E_OUTOFMEMORY" point to a graphic card problem instead of general RAM?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Guenni7 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:28 am
Doesn't "D3D11_ERROR: IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers failed in acknowledgeResize on line 1527. Error [0x8007000e] - E_OUTOFMEMORY" point to a graphic card problem instead of general RAM?
The error code is generic, so it could be RAM or VRAM (and it usually is RAM, because GPUs nowadays have also virtual memory, and they they slowly access RAM if they need to, or driver can shuffle things around between RAM and VRAM). But there are also failures in saving the game prior to the crash, due to

Code: Select all

Error ParallelScenarioSaver.cpp:114: Saving scenario failed: bad allocation
which is RAM allocation error from saving the game itself.

(There are also more E_OUTOFMEMORY graphics errors during failed saving attempts, those are from capturing of preview image for the save file, but failing to capture preview image doesn't fail saving the game)

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

I have 12GB RAM and the graphic card has 4GB dedicated memory, so I wasn't thinking that there will be a problem...
But after your response I did a chkdsk on the drive where the pagefile is, and it had fixed errors.
Let's hope that it was it :)

Return to “Technical Help”