Crashing at 40% cropping bitmaps

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
gmt95
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Crashing at 40% cropping bitmaps

Post by gmt95 »

Trying to load the game for the first time. The loading screen gets stuck at 40% and says cropping bitmaps. After waiting ~20–30 minutes, an error message appears and tells me to post the log file on the Factorio forum to get assistance. The log file is attached and it seems that there are OpenGL out of memory errors.

My computer is a Dell XPS M1530, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

Because I have not been able to load the game, I downloaded a config.ini file and placed it in "/home/gmt/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Factorio" as well as in "/home/gmt/.factorio" since I was uncertain on where to put it. The contents of the config.ini file reads:

Code: Select all

; version=5
; This is INI file : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file#Format 
; Semicolons (;) at the beginning of the line indicate a comment. Comment lines are ignored.

[graphics]
use-flip-presentation-model=false
graphics-quality=normal
texture-compression-level=low-quality
video-memory-usage=low
max-texture-size=4096
gpu-accelerated-compression=false
gpu-accelerated-mipmap-compression=false
cache-sprite-atlas=false
lights-render-quality=0.25
Here is information on my GPU and driver provided by "lshw -c video":

*-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: G84M [GeForce 8600M GT]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=nouveau latency=0 resolution=1280,800
       resources: irq:26 memory:f5000000-f5ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f2000000-f3ffffff ioport:ef00(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff
Another check on the GPU and driver being used via "lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga":

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G84M [GeForce 8600M GT] [10de:0407] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Dell G84M [GeForce 8600M GT] [1028:022e]
        Kernel driver in use: nouveau
Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(8 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Crashing at 40% cropping bitmaps

Post by Loewchen »

Your machine is below minimum hardware requirements, you won't be able to run factorio in it.

gmt95
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gmt95 »

Loewchen wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:46 pm
Your machine is below minimum hardware requirements, you won't be able to run factorio in it.
I believe my GPU has 512 MB of memory and is DirectX 10.1 capable, so is the issue that my dual core CPU is at 2 GHz instead of the listed minimum of 3 GHz for Factorio? I would have anticipated a slow/laggy/"unplayable" game with a slower CPU clock speed rather than not even being able to load the game to the start menu.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

It's running our of memory and or VRAM (hard to tell for sure); it thinks your GPU has 2 GB of VRAM available but it seems like it's being shared from system memory.

Have you tried restarting the computer? How much free RAM does it have before you start the game?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

gmt95
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gmt95 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:45 am
It's running our of memory and or VRAM (hard to tell for sure); it thinks your GPU has 2 GB of VRAM available but it seems like it's being shared from system memory.

Have you tried restarting the computer? How much free RAM does it have before you start the game?
The computer has been restarted multiple times and I have encountered this same issue during 4+ attempts. This past week, I formatted my entire HDD and installed Ubuntu (using Lubuntu) and Factorio. No other significant programs are running. I boot the laptop and do nothing but try to launch Factorio. There are 6+ GB of RAM available. I previously only had 2x1=2 GB of system RAM and was experiencing this issue, so I purchased 2x4=8 GB of compatible RAM and installed that. This has sped up things, but did not resolve the cropping bitmaps issue when loading Factorio.

Is there a way for me to specify that my GPU only has 512 MB of RAM instead of letting it think that there are 2 GB available? I'm using the nouveau driver for the GPU instead of the NVIDIA driver because that is the default and seems to be what people recommend. Maybe I should try the NVIDIA driver to see if that leads to success?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Open Factorio properties in Steam Library and set launch options to

--graphics-quality=normal

That should allow the game to start to menu. If not, try

--low-vram

Return to “Technical Help”