[1.1.74] Ubuntu, crash to login early in load

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Rohvin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.74] Ubuntu, crash to login early in load

Post by Rohvin »

I downloaded the game and launched it and it immediately crashes my back to the ubuntu login screen. Which I guess suggests that xorg is crashing? Usually before I can even see the Factorio logo. It never lasts for more than a second.
First I tried the game downloaded through Steam, but when that didn't work I also tried downloading from the website and launching that directly.

Now, I set up some weird graphics driver stuff so that my graphics card isn't running for just the desktop but does run when I need it. Unfortunately, I can't remember all the details of what I did, but I'm almost certain it's to blame. Worse, I think I tried a couple of things for this and might have some vestiges of that setup lurking around? But my computer works fine for normal use, including heavy graphics card use in other contexts.

I have this `nvrun` script set up, and when I want an executable to use the graphics card I prefix the executable with `nvrun`. It looks like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1
export __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia
export __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only
export VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json
exec "$@"
I've tried running factorio both with this `nvrun` prefix and without, and it looks like it's correctly using the graphics driver or not as expected. It crashes to the login screen every time either way. Since it breaks without the `nvrun` prefix this might all just be a red herring, but it's the only thing weird about my setup as far as I know.

Not sure if it's helpful, but the closest similar issue I could find trawling the forums and googling around is this one this one.

Any suggestions?

factorio-previous.log
With the nvrun prefix.
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
factorio-current.log
Without the nvrun prefix.
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Return to “Technical Help”