Server/client exact same specs still lags

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Server/client exact same specs still lags

Post by TheKillerChicken »

Hi. I have a server/client setup with both 128GB DDR3-1866 same CAS latencies, same CPUS (Xeon E5-2667V2 @3.6Ghz on both machines. The server uses a Super VGA PCI card for its video and my gamer-server uses an RTX 2080Ti. The problem is that even though I can catch up quickly, the FPS is hovering around 9-15 fps, but the server/client UPS is between 30-60. I also have CAT 6 ethernet and an enterprise network switch optimised for latency handling. What is happening?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Server/client exact same specs still lags

Post by Rseding91 »

The server doesn't need to do rendering so it gets to run slightly faster than a client. If you're at the edge or past what the client can do then the extra impact of having to do rendering will cause it to fall behind the server.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Server/client exact same specs still lags

Post by TheKillerChicken »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:10 pm
The server doesn't need to do rendering so it gets to run slightly faster than a client. If you're at the edge or past what the client can do then the extra impact of having to do rendering will cause it to fall behind the server.
I see. Thanks for clarifying that. My machine is a dinosaur, so I am planning to move to DDR4 in the future.

Return to “Technical Help”