Last User shows my steam username and not my LAN player name

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ellab
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Last User shows my steam username and not my LAN player name

Post by ellab »

As title describes. When hovering over an entity, the Last User shows my steam username (the unchangeable one) instead of the LAN player name (the one that's synced with the steam account name).

This is particularly important to me as my steam username is my deadname, and I cannot change it through steam. It's pretty uncomfortable being constantly bombarded with my deadname when playing solo, not to mention playing online where others could see it.

It might seem like a small issue, but it greatly affects my experience. I would much appreciate a response, I hope this is possible to change.

Thank you very much, Ella

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Last User shows my steam username and not my LAN player name

Post by morsk »

Is this after changing your account name, and using commands to swap inventories?

In that case it isn't steam usernames that are the problem, but that the other character is still part of the save, and many machines were still last-used by this character. I don't think the character can be removed, but I could write script to update all the last-user data.

It is possible to rename the old character with a hex editor, but if you do it wrong the game will crash. Also it's probably a bad idea to have two characters with the same name. I don't know what will happen.

Script to change last-user data everywhere

edit: The hex editor is going to be the only way to get the deadname out of the map. Even if you removed it from all the last-used tags, it's still in /players, and this is visible to everyone in multiplayer. You unzip the map, search the files for the deadname, and have the editor replace it with a new string. If you change the length, you have to also edit the byte before the string to make it match the new length, and have the hex editor insert/remove bytes while adjusting length. If you just want to change it to x's or _'s or pad it with extra characters to make it fit as the same length, you won't have to do the length-changing things. I can explain this again if parts of it don't make sense. This works in 1.0 but not in 1.1 and I don't understand why. Something about the format changed.
Last edited by morsk on Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

ellab wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:57 pm
This is particularly important to me as my steam username is my deadname, and I cannot change it through steam.
It's possible to change display name in steam though. What do you mean you can't? Have your name been explicitly frozen so that you in particular can't do it, or did you fail to find that functionality or is the steam "username" something permanent and different from the display name?
My mods: Capsule Ammo | HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting | ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines
Some other creations: Combinassembly Language GitHub w instructions and link to run it in your browser | 0~drain Laser

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

ellab wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:57 pm
As title describes. When hovering over an entity, the Last User shows my steam username (the unchangeable one) instead of the LAN player name (the one that's synced with the steam account name).
I believe the name shown in game is only dependent on your factorio account, NOT your steam name. My in-game name is Silari, and that name has NEVER been associated with my steam account.

If you go to https://factorio.com/profile while logged in does it show your deadname? You should be able to change it there.

If you've already changed it it's possible the old name is stored in the save and won't change until updated. I know there's been a few threads about this, and I could swear there was one about last user specifically, but I can't find it.

ellab
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ellab »

Silari wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:29 am
If you go to https://factorio.com/profile while logged in does it show your deadname? You should be able to change it there.

If you've already changed it it's possible the old name is stored in the save and won't change until updated. I know there's been a few threads about this, and I could swear there was one about last user specifically, but I can't find it.
the name you're seeing here (ellab) is my new alias. I changed the name on factorio.com a few months ago, and my forums.factorio.com account is new.
Qon wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:39 pm
It's possible to change display name in steam though. What do you mean you can't? Have your name been explicitly frozen so that you in particular can't do it, or did you fail to find that functionality or is the steam "username" something permanent and different from the display name?
Steam has two things called names - the account username (what you enter to log in) which is unchangeable (and games are not migratable), and your steam community display name which I have changed long ago. I filed this under bug reports since I assumed that the game uses the username instead of the display name. Either way, new buildings that I place use my username even though both my factorio.com name and steam display name are my new name.
morsk wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:25 pm
Is this after changing your account name, and using commands to swap inventories?

In that case it isn't steam usernames that are the problem, but that the other character is still part of the save, and many machines were still last-used by this character. I don't think the character can be removed, but I could write script to update all the last-user data.
Thanks, that's spot on. I created a new save and my username is displayed correctly. I didn't think to try this.
I suppose this is still a bug, since account name changes (whether through steam or factorio.com) aren't migrated into existing saves. I assume then that the user ID is used to match save data to the player entering the save.
Thank you so much for your help. I'll try and work around it with a hex editor now :)

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

Unfortunately the save format changed sometime in 1.1 and the way I used to do this doesn't work anymore. I could not find usernames anywhere in unzipped save files, and I also searched for chat history just because it's obviously in there somewhere, and I could not find it either. I don't know if it's compressed, obfuscated, or just stored in some very non-obvious way, but this all sounds much harder than it used to be.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Editing the save file (hex edit) should not be necessary.

There is a "/swap-players" console command, but I'm unsure if this only works in MP or is 100% appropriate for this situation.

That said, something that was mentioned in another thread (93407):
NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:44 pm
What I did was convert the save to a scenario, load the scenario, and then save over the original.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:09 pm
That said, something that was mentioned in another thread (93407):
NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:44 pm
What I did was convert the save to a scenario, load the scenario, and then save over the original.
I guess this is the --map2scenario command line option, and then going to New Game and making a new map with that scenario. I tried it, and it removes all characters from the map and will name things after the character you load the scenario with. I don't know what other side-effects changing to a scenario has but it does get rid of names completely.

Return to “Technical Help”