Is Multiplayer Lag gone?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Hopscotch1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is Multiplayer Lag gone?

Post by Hopscotch1337 »

Hey Cummunity,

3 years ago I played with some friends but everyone who was not the host had unplayable lags. Is this problem now solved or what exactly do I have to change in my settings?

I found a lot of things on google but the "How to´s" where all at least 2 years old, so i thought maybe the problem is now solved anyway...

Greetings,
Hops

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is Multiplayer Lag gone?

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I believe the "problems" with MP lag in this game are typically gonna be related to internet bandwidth and hardware speeds. Further, because this game has to be deterministic, I believe that essentially means the slowest person drags everyone else down.

For every person connceted, each client must run the same calculations that all the other clients run.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Hopscotch1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hopscotch1337 »

Yeah I would accept that, if it happend during playthrough but not at the beginning of the game. Computers where not so bad that the could not handle vanialla factorio in the first minutes, and host got glasviber cable... But I will just try next time and see how it goes...

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Well, obviously someone's setup was not as good as you thought it was. If this was a general issue with the game, then there'd be a lot more complaints happening.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Atraps003
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Atraps003 »

You're going to need to provide more information because factorio did not have unplayable multiplayer lag 3 years ago.

If a player's internet connection has high latency, high jitter, or packet loss to the host then they are going to have lag. If a player's computer can't keep up with the host's simulation speed they get dropped instead of slowing everyone down.

A speed test can give you an idea of the quality of your internet connection but it's testing to the speed test server. Your route to the speed test server can be good while your route to your friend is bad.

https://speed.cloudflare.com/

Return to “Technical Help”