Curious - why no headless steam server (windows)?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Khazul
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Curious - why no headless steam server (windows)?

Post by Khazul »

I am setting up a dedicated server on windows and unlike all the other game servers I run on windows, there does not appear to be an anonymous headless server install via steamcmd with its own app id.

I was just wondering why this is? Is it alot of overhead to develop and maintain?

From a server admin perspective this seems to mean factorio becomes a special case that has to be fully manually maintained via manual web downloads, manual installs from installer etc instead of just doing an steam app update check prior to running.

I assume if there was going be such a release, it would have happenned years ago, or maybe it could be something that gets revisited during the DLC/Factorio 2 dev cycle?

Do please consider it - I much prefer to install/update dedicated servers via steamcmd where they have an app id that it not subscription only (ie anon login works).

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Curious - why no headless steam server (windows)?

Post by aka13 »

Hosting anything on windows unrelated to AD is a special case
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Technical Help”