Having 2 installs?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Having 2 installs?

Post by Peter34 »

With the recent problems with the update breaking a lot of popular mods, I think it'd be a good idea to switch to running with 2 installs of Factorio each in their own folders, one folder containing the latest version and those mods that have been updated, and the other folder containing the latest "stable" version and all the mods I like.

How exactly do I do that?

How do I ensure that the savegames each end up in their own folder, rather than savegames from both installs in the same folder?

And which version is it that's the "stable" one? I haven't played lately, and haven't kept 100% track, so I'm not sure if it's 12.9, 12.10 or 12.11. I think it's 12.10, but am not completely sure.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Having 2 installs?

Post by DaveMcW »

Go to the download page.

Scroll past the exe installer. Don't click it!

Download the zip package. Unzip it and find the game in the "bin" folder.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Considering the fact that both copies would use "\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods\" folder for mods it doesnt really matter, unless you install old mods both.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

oLaudix wrote:Considering the fact that both copies would use "\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods\" folder for mods it doesnt really matter, unless you install old mods both.
They dont both read from the same folder, they each use a seperate sub-directory for all game files, mods, saves etc.
Like this
I always use the zip version, it makes managing and organizing the files easy

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Klonan wrote:They dont both read from the same folder, they each use a seperate sub-directory for all game files, mods, saves etc.
Like this
Those are game files. Saves and mods go to the same folder for both installs.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

oLaudix wrote:
Klonan wrote:They dont both read from the same folder, they each use a seperate sub-directory for all game files, mods, saves etc.
Like this
Those are game files. Saves and mods go to the same folder for both installs.
Yea if use the .exe installer they will both use the same folder, but using the .zip download, it extracts as its own standalone package, no installation required

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

No need to redownload if you already have one of the versions installed. You can just change path.write-data in config.ini to specify where things should get written. Use __PATH__system-write-data__ to make it system wide or something relative to __PATH__executable__ to have it be self-contained.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Klonan wrote:Yea if use the .exe installer they will both use the same folder, but using the .zip download, it extracts as its own standalone package, no installation required
Oh. I didnt realise that. I thought you were saying about mods in regard to .zip package.

Return to “Technical Help”