Inventory controls

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
nonstickfrypan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Inventory controls

Post by nonstickfrypan »

Hi,

I am having a problem with the "Set filter" key-binding in the Inventory controls settings. It is currently set to middle mouse button, however my middle mouse button is broken (the scroll-wheel works, just not the middle-click). Attempting to change this results in "must be mouse related". While trying to set it to something else I also noticed that you cannot set it to, say, CONTROL + "some mouse setting" (or ALT, mouse, or CTRL, ALT, mouse) whereas all the other settings in this section can be modified by using a combination of control/alt/shift + mouse-setting.

Is there a workaround I can apply (e.g. by editing a config file)?

Edit: I meant to add that I'm not sure why it even has to be mouse related. Originally I wanted to bind set/clear filter to '[' and ']'

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Inventory controls

Post by Rseding91 »

The real fix would be to get a new mouse :P http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EJH6RW/ $8

As for why it "must be mouse related" -> the widgets on screen are setup to respond to mouse input (clicks) and not keyboard input. It's not ideal and might be possible to change around but would require a large amount of work for what is mostly an edge case issue.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

nonstickfrypan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nonstickfrypan »

Rseding91 wrote:The real fix would be to get a new mouse :P http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EJH6RW/ $8

As for why it "must be mouse related" -> the widgets on screen are setup to respond to mouse input (clicks) and not keyboard input. It's not idea and might be possible to change around but would require a large amount of work for what is mostly an edge case issue.
Thanks for the reply. I was waiting for somebody to remind me of the get a new mouse fix :D

Yes, it would not be worth spending a lot of time on a edge case that's likely to affect only a few users. I guess I was most surprised that I couldn't set something like CTRL + Left Mouse but for other options it seemed you could.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Rseding91 wrote:The real fix would be to get a new mouse :P http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EJH6RW/ $8

As for why it "must be mouse related" -> the widgets on screen are setup to respond to mouse input (clicks) and not keyboard input. It's not idea and might be possible to change around but would require a large amount of work for what is mostly an edge case issue.
Is it really an edge case? Id like to play on my laptop when I am away, and like many, the touchpad has no middle button (OK, you can press both at the same time, least that works for mine, but is that a well known feature?). At some point I am going to buy a x64 Windows tablet (these are getting cheaper, and your Steam page says 1.5GHz dual core, the multi-core Intel Atom tablets are only a couple hundred last I looked), id like to play there as well (so something workable for touch). In both cases it would be a lot better not to need a mouse.

If it takes an extra click or two then that's fine (e.g. context menu, with take/place 1, 5, split, set filter, etc.).

nonstickfrypan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nonstickfrypan »

I actually wouldn't mind if I could set it to be left + right mouse buttons together on my PC, but I couldn't seem to set that either. I assume that on laptop pressing left+right is converted to middle at a level higher than the application level, but it should still be possible to set left + right in keybindings (I would have thought)

Edit: Since buying a new mouse didn't sound like an appealing enough workaround I pulled my mouse apart and used a paper clip to "click" the middle mouse. Now the filters I wanted set are set. I'll pull it apart again if I need to change them (or solder some wires so I can add an "external middle button" to the mouse lol). Much better workaround. I'll even attach the new middle mouse button with duct tape to make it even a better hack.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Most laptops do it at the driver level I believe, at least for basic cases (never tested in games) . You might be able to install extra software to do it again.

Also dont standard Apple mice for macs lack the middle button?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

nonstickfrypan wrote:While trying to set it to something else I also noticed that you cannot set it to, say, CONTROL + "some mouse setting" (or ALT, mouse, or CTRL, ALT, mouse) whereas all the other settings in this section can be modified by using a combination of control/alt/shift + mouse-setting.
I've had no problem setting the "Set filter" key to any combination of modifier keys (Shift/ALT/CTRL) + (left/right/middle)-mouse-click. This works for all controls that have to be mouse related.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

nonstickfrypan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nonstickfrypan »

daniel34 wrote:'ve had no problem setting the "Set filter" key to any combination of modifier keys (Shift/ALT/CTRL) + (left/right/middle)-mouse-click. This works for all controls that have to be mouse related.
You're right. I think I must have been thinking of trying to use two modifier keys (e.g. SHIFT + ALT + Left Mouse Button).

Edit: Hang on. You can do that? Wow. I must have been holding down CTRL and ALT too quickly after each other (if I do it slowly it works). Thanks

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

nonstickfrypan wrote:Edit: Hang on. You can do that? Wow. I must have been holding down CTRL and ALT too quickly after each other (if I do it slowly it works). Thanks
You need to hold them both at the same time while clicking, the same as you would do ingame.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Technical Help”