Game freezes while loading huge save file

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
starelf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game freezes while loading huge save file

Post by starelf »

While I don't mean literally freeze as in the game crashes, it takes about 20 minutes for my computer to load this save, and it seems unstable on another (much better) computer I tried loading it on. I removed all mods, so I'm not sure if this is just because the map is so large and so much is going on, or if it's a bug. I attached a save file in case anyone wants to try loading it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3ffuz5rukzjb ... e.zip?dl=0

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Game freezes while loading huge save file

Post by daniel34 »

It loads in about 20 seconds on my PC (Phenom II X4 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 750 Ti) and I can play with ~40 FPS/UPS without problems. Saving it takes the same time.

After loading it the game uses about 8.5 GB of RAM (biggest map I've seen so far), so if you have less than 10-12 GB RAM then that's the problem. In any case it's not a bug.

Very interesting to see the map zoomed out completely and the sheer size when comparing the map to the minimap. I'm surprised it even works so well on my PC given the amount of biters:
map
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

starelf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Game freezes while loading huge save file

Post by starelf »

daniel34 wrote:It loads in about 20 seconds on my PC (Phenom II X4 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 750 Ti) and I can play with ~40 FPS/UPS without problems. Saving it takes the same time.

After loading it the game uses about 8.5 GB of RAM (biggest map I've seen so far), so if you have less than 10-12 GB RAM then that's the problem. In any case it's not a bug.

Very interesting to see the map zoomed out completely and the sheer size when comparing the map to the minimap. I'm surprised it even works so well on my PC given the amount of biters:
map
Ah, so I just need to get some more ram, I guess it's just the size of the map that makes it take so much ram? Thanks for the help though :D

Return to “Technical Help”