Factorio and high refresh rate monitors

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Factorio and high refresh rate monitors

Post by orzelek »

There was a discussion some time ago about Factorio and using more then 60Hz refresh rate.

Did anyone found a solution to make game work without stuttering on monitor with 120Hz or 144Hz ?

I tried both vsync on or off in d3d mode and it stutters when refresh rate of monitor is not 60Hz.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio and high refresh rate monitors

Post by impetus maximus »

it's not a twitch first person shooter. you don't need uber high refresh rate.
enable vsync, and set your monitor to 60hz.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Refresh rates higher than 60Hz are not supported. The game does not try to do any animation between tick updates.

It would be nice if the monitor could detect this and downgrade itself to 60Hz.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

impetus maximus wrote:it's not a twitch first person shooter. you don't need uber high refresh rate.
enable vsync, and set your monitor to 60hz.
It's not about that.
It's about the need to switch from high refresh rate to lower one every time you want to play factorio.
DaveMcW wrote:Refresh rates higher than 60Hz are not supported. The game does not try to do any animation between tick updates.

It would be nice if the monitor could detect this and downgrade itself to 60Hz.
That would be ideal - not sure how gsync or freesync would behave.

I'm not asking to get 120 fps from Factorio renderer - it would be nice if it didn't stutter in strange ways when displaying it's 60 fps on 120Hz monitor.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

Which monitor? I have a 144hz and a 120hz and they just downgrade themselves to 60fps.
Is 60fps a supported framerate of your monitor or is it something like 59 or 72?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bk5115545 wrote:Which monitor? I have a 144hz and a 120hz and they just downgrade themselves to 60fps.
Is 60fps a supported framerate of your monitor or is it something like 59 or 72?
Monitor supports 60 as well as 144 and some others in between. I tried with 120 hoping that with exactly double the refresh Factorio will not stutter but it still does. For now I'm back to 60 because I like maximized window (thats why I use d3d) much more then bigger refresh rates.
If you go OpenGL then you will get resolution/refresh switch on every alt+tab and then refresh rate will be set by game.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

You might try disabling overlays. I have a friend that gets stuttering even at 60 fps and it only happens when he runs the steam overlay, fraps, or dxtory.

Return to “Technical Help”