"Loading multiplayer map" can paralyze your computer for minutes.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

"Loading multiplayer map" can paralyze your computer for minutes.

Post by Artman40 »

When the loading bar for "Loading multiplayer map" reaches the end, the computer can freeze for minutes. It gets worse because once the map has finished loading, you usually can't catch up with the server, making the minutes of waiting to be in vain.

It would be much more tolerable if a game could warn the player if loading the map would take a very long time. Is it possible to implement?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "Loading multiplayer map" can paralyze your computer for minutes.

Post by Rseding91 »

Loading maps takes a few seconds (at most 30 on the largest save I've ever seen) unless you've run out of RAM and it starts paging to disk.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Is it possible to modify the game so if it's about to run out of memory, a warning appears, asking whether you want to continue?

I found that when the freeze happens, I can't do anything. I can't even close the program even when playing windowed mode. Nothing else works. Factorio just consumes everything. Let's just say it's faster for me to just shut off and reboot the computer. And I don't even use SSD drive yet.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Artman40 wrote:Is it possible to modify the game so if it's about to run out of memory, a warning appears, asking whether you want to continue?
No, when that happens the program will either crash or the operating system uses the page file to keep it from crashing. Neither of those things we can detect.

RAM is cheap - just buying more would solve this for you.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”