Bad peformance on my PC

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
GijsDeBeun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Bad peformance on my PC

Post by GijsDeBeun »

Dear Factorio players,

Since a couple of hours playing I'm struggeling to keep up with our multiplayer save. We're heading to 1000spm but not there yet.
When a lot of ghosts/blueprints are placed my game lags a lot, like 4 fps. For example when 30k constrution bots need to place concrete. Below are my system specs and used mods. This happens in 0.16 and in the freshly released 0.17.
Also added some debugging info (photo), let me know if you need more info or specs. Numbers at Frame cycle are scary high. The host and other player both have 60 fps/ups. Running better proccesors and videocards (1060 and 1070).

My PC:
Win 10 (64 bit)
GTX 960 4Gb of VRAM
16GB DDR3
AMD FX-8350 (4,2GHz, 4 physical cores, 8 logical iirc)
Factorio is installed on a quite slow HDD

Mods:
Better Train Horn
Bottleneck
Even Distribution
Long Reach Research Upgrade
Squeak Through
Attachments
Debug info
Debug info
20190227213442_1.jpg (788.12 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Can't even Join
Can't even Join
20190227214729_1.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

boomdoom06
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Bad peformance on my PC

Post by boomdoom06 »

its either the update or the server but my solution is to turn down all of the setting and not use as many ghosts. ghosts cause a lot of lag because A. its a lot of sprites for to server to keep refreshed and B the server is constantly scanning all of the ghosts and roboport to see if a robot has the item or access to the item. also all of the robots are making your pc lag as it is alot of moving sprites on the screen and in the background at once and your pc and the server have have to have the processing power to determine the robots path and to keep a steady connecting with the server but since the robots are part of the game it tries to deal with them over a secure connection with the server.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Not tried in 0.17 yet with a megabase, but previously I had issues with too many ghosts, especially if the construction bots can't full-fill them immediately. They don't have to be on screen, the sprite/entity impact from them is very low, id say its something to do with logistics network (for example, thousands of trees or belts, no problem).

When a client joins an MP server, the server will go ahead a bit from the save file that is sent to them, the client must then catch up (ideally much faster than 60ups). If the client is only a little faster than the server (say the client does 65ups and the server 60ups) then joining can take a very very long time, pausing the server until the client has fully joined solves this. If the client is slower than the server (say 55ups and the server 60ups) then the client will never catch up/join, and if you pause the server, the client may even be dropped when unpausing.

In 0.15/0.16, getting to 1 rocket per minute scale and maintaining 60 UPS took a lot few challenges, and my group had generally faster single-core CPU's than that FX-8350 does.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

GijsDeBeun wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:10 pm
Since a couple of hours playing I'm struggeling to keep up with our multiplayer save.
Factorio multiplayer is a lockstep simulation. That means that the server and all clients simulate the entire gameworld, and only user input is transmitted over the network. This looks like a standard case of the client cpu being slower than the server's cpu, and once the base gets too large, the client can no longer keep up.

See the performance section of viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4400 and viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638#p299295.

Normal answer is to slow down the server with

Code: Select all

/c game.speed = 0.8
(If necessary, you slow the game down even more, until all clients can keep up).

Return to “Technical Help”