[0.17.41] Game randomly crashes, even when im afk and do nothing

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Weank
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.41] Game randomly crashes, even when im afk and do nothing

Post by Weank »

Hello, I know the title isn't really the greatest but I don't know how else I am supposed to title this post.
As I mentioned, my game crashes randomly, what i mean by randomly is that I have no idea what's causing the crash and the crashes don't happen regularly. One time I hit "esc" which means that there wasn't anything going on in the game and I still experienced a crash. That could mean there's something wrong with my PC being incompatible with Factorio, since other games I play (osu, rocket league, diablo 2, path of exile) never crash. Also what I mean by "crashes don't happen regularly" is that sometimes I can play factorio for 2 hours straight without a crash and sometimes I can get 5 crashes in 30 minutes of gameplay.
The crashes were happening since 0.17.1 up to current version (I didn't report this earlier because i thought that it was a bug and would be fixed).

What I can figure out on my own from the log files, is that the crashes are not always caused by the same thing, which is why I didn't post this in the bug report section. I'm attaching my save file, mod list, my PC's specs and log file from the latest crash. I'm going to run the game for some time so that i can get more log files (they will be named log-1, log-2 etc..). Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here is the link to the google drive folder with all the files.
PC specs

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.41] Game randomly crashes, even when im afk and do nothing

Post by Loewchen »

The logs you uploaded show crashes in completely different parts of the game, and at least two show clear signs of a flipped bit, therefore a hardware defect is most likely.

Weank
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Weank »

Do you know a way to detect what exactly might be causing this? As i said this kind of constant crashing only occurs with factorio so maybe there is a way to detect which hardware is deffective.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The only useful way I know is to replace parts one by one until it is fixed, but the parts that could cause this are limited to RAM, PSU, CPU, Mainboard or GPU. If you run memory or cpu overclocked try without.
But first thing I would do is to run https://www.memtest.org/#downiso over night or until it shows an error, but it does not tell you what part is defect, just that there are errors or there are none.

Weank
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Weank »

Okay i'll try that. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Technical Help”