[0.18.4] Factorio hangs or crashes when laying belts or picking up items (Linux)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Tels
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.18.4] Factorio hangs or crashes when laying belts or picking up items (Linux)

Post by Tels »

Factorio often slows down to a crawl, hangs, or outright crashes (only 1 time, though, the crash log is attached). in most cases it just hangs the entire PC and OS and I cannot even switch to a text console and have to do a hard reboot.

The issue started with 0.17.x (and the mod Industrial Revolution), but has persisted through to 0.18.4 and even occurs with no mods - albeit very mildly with only a few slowdowns to 35 FPS. It also occurs with a very tiny base, larger bases become quickly unplayable.

The issue is usually triggered by doing stuff with belts, but sometimes just moving around can cause sudden FPS drops.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 12 cores
RAM: 32041 MB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 (6G)
Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 430.50

The PC is quite powerful and I have no problems playing many other games. Factorio is the sole exception here, and I'm stumped as to why.

Have tried a few settings (lowering rendering threads from 12 to 8 and 6), lowering VRAM usage from "All" to "High", lowered atlas size from "highest" to 8K, but the issue persists.

Attached a screenshot of the temperatures and the CPU/memory usage.
Screenshot_20200208_161015_temp.png
Screenshot_20200208_161015_temp.png (256.85 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Screenshot_20200208_160202_perf.png
Screenshot_20200208_160202_perf.png (198.71 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Also attached are a few logs - one of the crash (under 0.17.x), and a few performance logs. If you need any additional files or info, please just ask.

One thing that I couldn't really do was a screenshot with the performance numbers one, because if the game stops responding, I can no longer take screenshots.

I've also attached a savegame, if that helps. I tried the same save in an unmodded copy of Factorio, and it also slowed down to maybe 35 FPS when laying belts and picking up the belt again.

Hope somebody can help finding the issue.
Attachments
0.18 - Toxic - 0015 - Minimall.zip
(13.87 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
factorio_crash_logs.zip
(90.25 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.18.4] Factorio hangs or crashes when laying belts or picking up items (Linux)

Post by Loewchen »

The crash would only be interesting if you can produce it in the latest vesion, for the performance issues see: 68653.

Tels
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.18.4] Factorio hangs or crashes when laying belts or picking up items (Linux)

Post by Tels »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:30 pm
The crash would only be interesting if you can produce it in the latest vesion, for the performance issues see: 68653.
It's not only a "oh the performance tanks". But rather in most extreme cases, the game stops, e.g. it hangs, including the entire desktop, but it doesn't "crash" with a log (except in 1 or 2 cases). E.g. even if you manage to go to a text console, there is a factorio process there that cannot be killed (and sometimes consumes 100% CPU, sometimes not).

So I'm unable to produce a crash log, but still have to hard reboot the machine to continue using it. :-( This can happen multiple times a day, so it is quite annoying.

Still trying to force the issue and getting more info and maybe a log. If anybody has any ideas on how to debug this, I'm all ears 8-)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

A lock up of the whole machine suggests a OS/driver or hardware issue and since you are the only person that reported something like this makes it even more likely. I do not know what the linux equivalent would be, but a OS event history or something like that might help.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

can you look into installing 'perf' and run 'perf record' when reproducing the issue? you can then supply the data file which will contain a histogram of CPU time spent in various methods during the performance problem. it may indicate that there is something else on the system interfering with performance.

you can use brendangregg's flame graph scripts to turn a perf recording into a very cool looking svg vector graphic that will give a visual overview of different time intervals.

Return to “Technical Help”