Blueprints

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
forsaken75
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Blueprints

Post by forsaken75 »

Hi,

I upgraded to 1.1 and that was fine. I downgraded to 1.0 and my blueprints were gone. I checked the appropriate directory (windows) and the blueprint storage file was 1k. I renamed the 7 MB backup file. Still no blueprints - but no 1k file either. so that means it wasn't looking at the local file. I turned off the steam blueprint sync option - under the theory that this would force it to look at the local file, and then I had my blueprints back.

This tells me that if it finds a file in the cloud it uses that no matter what, which leads to what happened to me. I suggest that either it compares the cloud vs. local and notifies you that there is a difference - and shows you what the blueprints are in the cloud vs. blueprint-storage.dat and asks you which you want to keep (doing the appropriate sync to/from the cloud) or in the gameplay, have a.. I don't know maybe local or remote tab so you can choose which blueprints you are accessing - although that seems unnecessarily complicated. A quick chksum or hash of the local and remote files and that can tell you if they are different, than it's just re-using the blueprint gui but split in two and you pick which to keep seems like a simple enough solution utilizing mostly existing gui/code. WHEN you do that is the tricky part, but it's about the cleverest solution I could come up with :-)

Anyway, it's very confusing when you have a backup file - called backup - in the directory - that you can't use because the program (other than upgrades) totally ignores it. Just my thoughts.

p. s. It would be awesome if you could let us choose which side the pane with your character/gun goes on - for that matter, make it a window you can position where you want and can snap to either side of the quickbar :-) Otherwise, amazing release!

TheCoolDoctor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Blueprints

Post by TheCoolDoctor »

Hey, I have a similar problem with my blueprints getting lost, and using the backup not helping at all.

In my case, V1.1 was not involved. I downgraded (via Steam beta) to V0.17 in order to check out an older V0.15 base. Before that, I made a backup of blueprint-storage.dat. This proved good because afterwards, that file was only 20kB instead of the original 1417kB.
When I reinstalled V1.0 So I copied the backup back. But when I opened my current base, all personal blueprints (left tab of the blueprint page) were gone, while the ones from the loaded base were still there. Interestingly, blueprint-storage.dat seemed untouched (still 1417kB), but another file (blueprint-storage-version-0.17-backup.dat) was still 20kB. So I replaced that one with the 1417kB version too, but after loading my V1.0 base, the personal blueprints were still missing, and after exiting Factorio, the size of blueprint-storage-version-0.17-backup.dat was down to 20kB again.
What do I need to do in order to get my personal blueprints back?

forsaken75
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by forsaken75 »

As stated in my report above, for me, putting the blueprints-storage.dat file i wanted in place, and turned off steam blueprint cloud sync in the settings. this seems to force factorio to look at the local file which, if its the correct one, will use it. Do note, blueprints incompatible with 1.1 will not be there. At least, that was the case for me.

TheCoolDoctor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheCoolDoctor »

Thanks for pointing this out - I missed it when reading your text. And it worked for me too! All personal blueprints are back on board! Thank you so much! :idea:

Return to “Technical Help”