[Q] Will Factorio be published on more markets?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Apos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Q] Will Factorio be published on more markets?

Post by Apos »

Hi,

this question might be too early for developer/publisher of Factorio, but it is important one:
Will Factorio be available on other markets then Steam, GMG and developer website? I'm thinking here of digital Steam key buy option for markets that don't use Euro/Dollar/British Pound currency and need to have standardized price, like Eastern Europe countries?
Factorio for early stage of Alpha and nearly 100k copies sold (congrats!) would easily find publishers for local markets to make game available to even more people.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Q] Will Factorio be published on more markets?

Post by sillyfly »

In today's extremely global market, is it really a problem for anyone (with a proper computer and decent web access, that is) to buy something in US $?
I know I'm not using US $ and I had no problem buying from the Factorio website.

Apos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apos »

sillyfly wrote:In today's extremely global market, is it really a problem for anyone (with a proper computer and decent web access, that is) to buy something in US $?
I know I'm not using US $ and I had no problem buying from the Factorio website.
There are still places that it is issue and local publishers take care of it.

To buy stuff in foreign currency isn't also cheap due various factors like:
a) GDP
b) exchange rate (euro currency is expensive in Eastern Europe)
c) additional cost for buying in foreign currency (Paypal, special credit card or bank fee)
d) taxes

For example Euro Truck Simulator 2 @ Steam costs 20 euro. If I buy directly from Steam, it'd cost me about 90-100 of my local currency. Game released by publisher (Box or digital Steam key) costs 40 with "Go East" expansion. Vanilla game is 35. Fair deal for fair amount of money.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Apos wrote:If I buy directly from Steam, it'd cost me about 90-100 of my local currency. Game released by publisher (Box or digital Steam key) costs 40 with "Go East" expansion. Vanilla game is 35. Fair deal for fair amount of money.
The publisher is giving customers in your country a huge discount. That is a decision they are free to make, but you shouldn't expect everyone to do it.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

sillyfly wrote:In today's extremely global market, is it really a problem for anyone (with a proper computer and decent web access, that is) to buy something in US $?
Denmark still doesn't use the euro, but sticks with the krone, but it's completely trivial to purchase from Steam anyway, even though the prices are cited in euros. For people with tight finances, it'd be nice if the prices were cited in the local currency instead of euros, or in addition to in euros, so they won't have to use Google for currency conversion (to check if the price fits into a very tight budget), but it's really not a problem.

The financial situation of living in Eastern Europe might be different, though.

bloodgiver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bloodgiver »

Peter34 wrote:The financial situation of living in Eastern Europe might be different, though.
Yeah, for someone who earn 2000 euro/month it's easy to buy a game for 20 euro, but for someone who earn ~500 euro/month it's not.
500 euro is average in country like Poland. Sad but true. Further east is even worse ;d

Apos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apos »

Peter34 wrote:The financial situation of living in Eastern Europe might be different, though.
It is way different. I see bloodgiver mentioned Poland and 500 euro/month. It is before tax probably. Poland has one of the highers tax thresholds and lowest incomes in Europe. Friend from Romania makes 220 euro per month. As we say here "it's brutal to live in country with Eastern European salaries and Western Eu expenses".

@DaveMcW The publisher is not giving us a huge discount. It makes price fair due wealth differences of various countries, so that for you looks like price cut, but it isn't for us. For that reason I linked article to GDP so you can realize that there are countries that make from 4 to 12 times less than Western Europe/US.

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

Apos wrote:Poland has one of the highers tax thresholds and lowest incomes in Europe.
People like to say the same thing about Cz taxes, and we're not much richer than Polish people. And factorio is Cz game. And Cz people have no trouble buying it. :roll:

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

SK is no better than other eastern countries. Eastern salaries, slavery and western EU expenses.

Return to “General discussion”