Establishing a Perimeter

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
sinrise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Establishing a Perimeter

Post by sinrise »

I've been experimenting with my turret/wall perimeter and decided to see what will happen if I push way out, square off a gigantic area and clear out all the biters inside. It's been about 6 hours (real time) and so far they haven't respawned inside my perimeter. My question is, will they eventually start spawning inside my base, or does a biter (or group of biters) have to actually move to an area and establish a base?

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Establishing a Perimeter

Post by Nemoricus »

Biters migrate from existing bases to new positions. So, since the interior is clean, it will remain clean forever more.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

However, if even one biter manages to breach the perimeter, it can potentially create a base inside. While this might be obvious, it is still a good idea to point it out regardless, since it is the source of all the reports of biters somehow establishing bases inside protected areas.

sinrise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sinrise »

Thanks! That's immensely helpful. Although It's possible I missed one, I scoured the interior and I'm confident I got them all. The possibility of one getting through is exciting :mrgreen: That's why I always have a few sets of fully stocked turrets scattered throughout my base. I have learned my lessons.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Just put radars up at regular intervals along the perimeter, that way you can see incoming attacks as well as scanning the interior for possible breaches.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

If I recall correctly there is a debug view still for biter spawn areas, so not sure if that is still in the game, but if you have regular radars they act as victory poles so they can't spawn inside.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:If I recall correctly there is a debug view still for biter spawn areas, so not sure if that is still in the game, but if you have regular radars they act as victory poles so they can't spawn inside.
It is still in the game as of latest 0.13, with color dependent on the chance of getting a base to form. IIRC there's also a numerical display for that chance, but I could be wrong.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

sinrise wrote:My question is, will they eventually start spawning inside my base, or does a biter (or group of biters) have to actually move to an area and establish a base?
It is easy to carry out a test now: download Creative Mode 0.2.0, in Creative Mode menu -> cheats -> game settings -> set expansion min CD and max CD to 0, enjoy 8-)
But you may need to save the game before doing that, because it will change the gameplay. :lol:

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Can any biter found a new nest? I have cleared areas and left some biters behind. Later single bases have appeared in these areas. I am 99 % sure that biters from outside have not come in.

Sometimes I have followed survived biters (and spitters) from outside of their detection range. They seem to wander aimlessly and in most cases they just disappear, if I follow long enough. Is it bug or intended behaviour. I have never seen that they found a new nest, but once I saw when a worm appeared in existing base.

Return to “General discussion”