Loving the game!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Loving the game!

Post by NameLips »

I just got the game last week and have already logged 86 hours! (to be fair, I think some of that was paused).

I'm not very good at it yet. But here is a picture of my research setup!
Attachments
research.jpg
research.jpg (424.63 KiB) Viewed 4838 times

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Loving the game!

Post by NameLips »

That base got eaten by biters. Or bitten by eaters.

Here is a picture of the start of my new base. The map had coal and iron right next to each other, which let me make this neat little loop:
beginning iron.jpg
beginning iron.jpg (294.97 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
The neat part is how simple it is. It needs neither research nor electricity. It holds up to 500 iron plates, which is a lot for the beginning, and since it's self-feeding, you can just leave it running without worrying about it running out of coal.

GaliMatias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GaliMatias »

Incase you are interested in seeing how other people do things, here is my science area.
I'm 11 hours in and much of the time have gone by with killing aliens:P

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

I do think a big, intricate, organized factory like that is really cool.

But I have to ask -- do you ever really need such intense science production? My current one only feeds 6 labs, and it seems I'm getting my new techs pretty regularly.

GaliMatias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GaliMatias »

I thought that i might aswell go big with the new landfill thing. havent used it yet though:P

It's nice to have so i can tech up fast when i'm ready for new tech.

And tech was pretty much all i did and waited for earlygame since i have alot of aliens on this map and decided to stay small until laser tech and everything that goes with it.
And if my memory is correct tech is pretty expensive lategame.

I also like to have things enmasse on belts. It makes it easy to spot when i'm lacking something.

Initially i only had 6 factories creating green science things. I then expanded it to 10 since 6 wasn't enough.

But it's probably a little bit overkill.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

NameLips wrote:I just got the game last week and have already logged 86 hours! (to be fair, I think some of that was paused).

I'm not very good at it yet. But here is a picture of my research setup!
We all had humble beginnings. With 86 hours in one week.. Soon you'll be seeking medical help for your addiction like the rest of us!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

BULIGO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BULIGO »

As a new player, just in case you need an easy starting map:
P.S. I think i could provide the code for the map for copy&paste in the generator.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

BULIGO wrote:As a new player, just in case you need an easy starting map:
P.S. I think i could provide the code for the map for copy&paste in the generator.
It would be a pleasure.
Nobody would try to enter each letter manually.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

Thanks, but I got myself a nice easy one. Lots of minerals, few enemies, just so I could get a feel for how to get to the end game.

So far it looks like your base naturally evolves into districts. Mining/processing, power, research, weaponry, refining, and advanced production.

The game changes significantly once you get a logi network set up. All of a sudden you don't need to make an entire long conveyor belt to get a single resource across the map, and they keep my character stocked with basic building components. I found, for instance, that my batteries and processing units (blue chips) were best made in my refinery district, but were needed for research, and were a good use for logi bots.

I found it alarming when the oil ran dry and I had to start running pipelines to distant oil fields. Until I had advanced refining, I had a problem getting rid of all my oil byproducts.

It's a lot of fun to drive around in a tank with bots repairing it as I launch explosive rockets at biter nests.

There were so few enemies that they never attacked my base, and I could tech up and go after them at my leisure. That obviously made the game very easy.

Right now, there's nothing to do but wait for research to finish so I can build the rocket silo.

GaliMatias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GaliMatias »

Then that's a perfect time to expand your research production:D

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

Well, finally got the rocket off. It took longer than I thought to construct the rocket, but things seemed relatively peaceful so I just set things up and let it go.

For several hours. Maybe longer.

When I came back, I noticed that there were biter nests close to my base. They had spawned there randomly. I went out in my tank to kill them, and found out that constant exposure to my pollution had rendered them much tougher than expected. I barely survived, and needed to develop the "drive by shooting" method of destroying their spawners (which, oddly, are the least armored and most vulnerable part of the nest).

Also during this time, there were a few random biter incursions. They ran into my base and randomly started chewing on the infrastructure. My logi net was capable of keeping things repaired while I ran around killing them.

The rocket was only 50% done, and it turned out there were a few bottlenecks in my production, and my copper field actually had managed to deplete itself. So I got that all sorted.

I ran out of solid fuel and had to redo my refinery setup to make more.

But it all worked out in the end, and off the rocket went. Woot, victory!

--

It was at that point I realized how long the application had been running on my computer. Sometimes paused, sometimes minimized, and sometimes just left to run on its own. It hadn't updated to 0.13 yet. And it shows 207 hours played.

My goodness. That's a lot of hours.

GaliMatias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GaliMatias »

You are now inside the rabbit hole. Welcome.

Return to “General discussion”