Construction bots in 0.15 science

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
onebit
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Construction bots in 0.15 science

Post by onebit »

I'm playing with Research Revolution and I love the new science.

I wonder where construction bots + blueprints will fall in the new tech tree. In the mod, science has to almost be complete before bots are available. It's a lot of work to make 5 sciences before construction bots.

Hopefully in the real 0.15 construction bots are Science 3. Although maybe that doesn't make sense, since electric engine is Production Science pack... Still, I'd go with Science 3 for construction and Production Science for logistics. Construction bots are lower tech than logistics bots since they only require EC's instead of AC's. It's reasonable to get them sooner.

I consider construction bots to be a fundamental part of the game and don't like that the game is almost over before you can use them.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Construction bots in 0.15 science

Post by Daid »

Well, one of the recent FFFs suggested that you should have access to personal construction bots earlier in the game. The mod just focuses on the science part, as that part was quite detailed. The rest was pretty much one-liners.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-160

onebit
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Construction bots in 0.15 science

Post by onebit »

Which science do you think it should be?

Science 3 requires plastic for AC's, which proves you have oil. I think it's enough science. Science 2 would be cool, but is a little too soon I think. You haven't proved you have oil infrastructure. Production science is too much, because you would probably also want to get military by that point too. It's also quite large and resource intensive. You'd want help with construction bots to build it. With science 3 it's an interesting choice to go for military or rush bots instead.

There's also the question of where modular armor would be. Without that you can't equip a personal roboport. If that requires military instead of science 3 we're up to 4 sciences. Perhaps modular armor should be science 3, power armor 1 military and power armor 2 high tech.

Return to “General discussion”