Help with UPS - 0.15

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Help with UPS - 0.15

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

So my not-quite-mega-yet-base seems to have some performance issues - I knew I was being naughty with all those train loops, but I wanted to see what happened, so here I am - my base launches a rocket every 10-20 minutes-ish, but I no longer want to play it because of lag (UPS 30). Its my first base in 0.15 so I could use afresh start anyway.

But then I look at my debug numbers.
Screenie-lol
I thought my train loops were causing the lag, but train pathfinding seems quite low. Do I have too many entities ?

I tried killing all the biters via console and UPS goes to 42.

It would seems my base has too many entities - how do I fix this ?

And is it ok for me to use train loops now ? the numbers seem to suggest that it is.
Last edited by AcolyteOfRocket on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Help with UPS - 0.15

Post by quinor »

You want "spoiler=" named spoiler tag.

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Killing biters via console will improve UPS but it will be even better UPS-wise to start a game with no biters and no pollution from the get go. The long stretches of uncompressed belt in your picture are likely contributing to your lower UPS. Substituting with underground belts can help.

Re: train pathfinding, it takes a pretty large train network that is either looped or with lots of lane changers for trains to become the limiting factor in terms of UPS.

In addition to using more underground belt, I would also suggest logistics arrangements which reduce total # of inserters.

P.S. What are your specs?

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/5/2017, 18:58:26
Machine name: xxxx
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170427-1518)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: All Series
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/26/13 21:19:24 Ver: 12.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
Page File: 3199MB used, 29442MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 770
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: xxxx
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB
Shared Memory: 2106 MB

PS I only killed the biters as a test, I do intend to keep playing with them or I'd have nothing to drop nukes on :lol:

Which I would have to have, since using nuclear reactors seems to be another way of eating UPS vs Solar.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Entities include basically everything in the game. So to increase your map efficiency you will need to streamline your base.

Your crazy long busses are partially to blame. Belts are more efficient in recent patches, but cover a map in belts and they'll still drain your resources. Try to count and ratio your resources so you can train them directly into your assembler chains without relying on a bus. Beacons will let fewer machines accomplish more to help shrink your base. Use power switches with large chunks of your base so you can turn huge blocks on and off to help recover UPS. In terms of factories try to organize them into 3 major types. The research factory only produces/uses research, the rocket factory only produces rocket stuff, and a final factory produces everything else. Try to optimize the research and rocket factories into a lean mean UPS efficient machine. The everything factory is easiest to design around logistic bot spam. It'll only be as active as you are and should be turned on/off as needed.

Solar/accumulator power is very easy on UPS, while steam/nuclear power must necessarily use more CPU. Large messy fluid pipe networks will use more CPU. Cover long distances with trains always. Don't waste time with anything less than top tier assemblers doing top tier stuff pushing production directly down the chain from start to finish.

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Thx for the tips guys.

So, turn down the biters, bots and direct, not belts, and solar/accum for power (I'm not so experienced as to be sick of them so it'll be OK).

What about security -My base was surrounded by a single bank of lasers, and I had a few spikes going out to get resources (like 54M Iron deposit when most of the others nearer spawn were 5-10M), so the perimeter was not a perfect square by any means - do lasers add UPS drain ?

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

AcolyteOfRocket wrote:Thx for the tips guys.

So, turn down the biters, bots and direct, not belts, and solar/accum for power (I'm not so experienced as to be sick of them so it'll be OK). And train loops are not the devil incarnate..

What about security -My base was surrounded by a single bank of lasers, and I had a few spikes going out to get resources (like 54M Iron deposit when most of the others nearer spawn were 5-10M), so the perimeter was not a perfect square by any means - do lasers add UPS drain ?

Return to “General discussion”