Humble Store

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ram-Z
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Humble Store

Post by Ram-Z »

Hey,

I just discovered this game and it looks really interesting. I would love to try it out and throw some money at you guys, but I'd also like to have as many of my games managed in the same place.

Would you consider adding this game to the Humble Store? They do accept early access/alpha games like this one.

I have no idea what kind of conditions or prices they have, but I'm sure that a lot of people will get to see this game once it's on the store.You can find more information here.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Humble Store

Post by FishSandwich »

They're more likely to go to steam first, and that's not going to happen until next year.. Soo.. You're better off just buying it now.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Ram-Z wrote:but I'd also like to have as many of my games managed in the same place.
You can add teh game to your personal steam library?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

-root wrote:
Ram-Z wrote:but I'd also like to have as many of my games managed in the same place.
With the ingame auto-updater, this is a practical solution to the request.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Ram-Z
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ram-Z »

It's actually not only games themselves I want managed in the same place, it's the purchases.
They're more likely to go to steam first, and that's not going to happen until next year.
I would think it's easier to get into the Humble Store than it in to get greenlit on Steam. Furthermore, the Humble Store can sell Steam key, it wouldn't hurt to have that platform set up already for the steam launch later on.

Having the game in a prominent store like that, will probably boost the sales as well.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Ram-Z wrote:Having the game in a prominent store like that, will probably boost the sales as well.
Which may actually not be that beneficial yet. (Pre-)Releasing a game will generate publicity, far more so than an update (even when it's from a pre-release to a final release). If part of that publicity is complaints that the game isn't complete yet, people may be put off from buying it now and have forgotten about it once the final release comes out.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Ram-Z wrote:
They're more likely to go to steam first, and that's not going to happen until next year.
I would think it's easier to get into the Humble Store than it in to get greenlit on Steam.
You're kidding right? :P Have you seen the crap that gets greenlit on steam recently?

Anyway, the devs have stated that they don't want the game to get too much publicity before its time, nor are they in it to get sales, which is why they're holding off on the steam release.

espritcrafter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by espritcrafter »

I hope they don't go humble store anytime soon... The prices go ridiculously low, and this game is waaaay too good to be doing that. I hope that Factorio avoids the bundle scene for a long time. I usually just buy bundle games, but this is one of those games that are way too enjoyable to wait for it to go humble or on sale.

Ram-Z
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ram-Z »

Boogieman14 wrote: (Pre-)Releasing a game will generate publicity, far more so than an update (even when it's from a pre-release to a final release). If part of that publicity is complaints that the game isn't complete yet, people may be put off from buying it now and have forgotten about it once the final release comes out.
This is not my experience with pre-releases, it does generate publicity and if there is anything bad (bugs, missing features), it is often excused by the fact that the game is not ready. Ofc it has to be marked as being a pre-release! If you do a proper release (no alpha/beta) when the game is clearly not ready, you're just asking for trouble.
FishSandwich wrote:
Ram-Z wrote: I would think it's easier to get into the Humble Store than it in to get greenlit on Steam.
You're kidding right? Have you seen the crap that gets greenlit on steam recently?
I wasn't, but you make a good point. I haven't followed Greenlight in a while, but I have heard about some attrocious games that were greenlit (I just forgot about that). I just assumed that since it's Steam there would be some more higher entry barrier.
espritcrafter wrote: I hope they don't go humble store anytime soon... The prices go ridiculously low, and this game is waaaay too good to be doing that. I hope that Factorio avoids the bundle scene for a long time. I usually just buy bundle games, but this is one of those games that are way too enjoyable to wait for it to go humble or on sale.
I'm not talking about Bundles, just the store. They are two different things, the publisher/developper of the game decides when it should be featured/on sale on the store. Heck, if I understood that correctly, you can even just get a widget and not be shown on the store page at all.

Note: I must admit I wasn't expecting this much resistance to the idea. :/

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I think part of the reason your getting so much resistance to the idea is because Factorio has a very loyal following (especially here on the forums) so the players understand what the devs want/don't want, and the players also want the best for the game.
As others have stated, the devs have made it clear they don't want it to go public in a big way like steam or anything similar until it is at an acceptable stage in their minds. And based on the updates and the dev's definition of "buggy" it is not close to ready. :p
As for your situation... I can understand wanting all your game and purchases to be in one place, but if you decide to not get the game now (and wait until it goes on steam/humble store) then you are quite frankly missing out on a lot of fun and enjoyment.
Image Image Image

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

What do these middle-men offer us, the gamers? I understand the need for publicity for the publisher, but as a gamer, I like going right to the designers.

Are we talking about purchasing points, dedicated servers, tracking rewards, 5 cent chochkies, etc...?

Ram-Z
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ram-Z »

Xterminator wrote: I think part of the reason your getting so much resistance to the idea is because Factorio has a very loyal following (especially here on the forums) so the players understand what the devs want/don't want, and the players also want the best for the game.
As others have stated, the devs have made it clear they don't want it to go public in a big way like steam or anything similar until it is at an acceptable stage in their minds. And based on the updates and the dev's definition of "buggy" it is not close to ready. :p
Fair enough.
Xterminator wrote: As for your situation... I can understand wanting all your game and purchases to be in one place, but if you decide to not get the game now (and wait until it goes on steam/humble store) then you are quite frankly missing out on a lot of fun and enjoyment.
It's a preference not a requirement! I basicaly just wanted to throw this question in to see if I could wait just a bit longer for the game to be available on the Humble Store and get it there instead of Factorio's store. Since that is apparently not going to happen any time soon, I'll just go ahead and order the game now.
DerivePi wrote: What do these middle-men offer us, the gamers? I understand the need for publicity for the publisher, but as a gamer, I like going right to the designers.
Are we talking about purchasing points, dedicated servers, tracking rewards, 5 cent chochkies, etc...?
Convenience mostly. If I need to get the latest upgrade for any of my games, or reinstall on a new machine, it's always the same place I need to go to download it. Also if you used their service more often, you can more easily trust the payement system.
As for the Humble Store, they provide dedicated servers for downloading the game. If you buy the game once you get it on all platforms and steam/desura keys or whathever the devs decide to add to the package. And part of their revenue goes to charity.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Don't think its worth it right now for factorio. I agree with what the devs are doing.
They have a playerbase, they have their testers right now.

Once the game is ready to be on steam, put it on humble too. But steam compared to humble... heh.

If you really want to "manage" it easier, put it on steam as a non-steam game. Factorio has a updater, Which helps with this managing you want.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:If you really want to "manage" it easier, put it on steam as a non-steam game.
I did that. Then I started getting comments from friends about the amount of time I was spending on Factorio... :oops:
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

What does it matter if they see you playing a game you enjoy?
Screw 'em.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

NeoForce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NeoForce »

Try to get on GameStop.

Return to “General discussion”