[0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Config mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Config mod

Post by orzelek »

Setmaster wrote:Does this have a GUI?
There is currently no way to have a gui for mod like this due to way that game works.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

well one could write an external program with gui, that creates the config file.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Although it has been suggested, It's an awful lot of work just to make it look pretty basically, instead of having to edit a text file.

Probably too much work considering there are already plans in the works to integrate a mod config system of some sort into 0.15.

Also, some sort of website would be easier than an external program (Because: A program would be specific to an OS(Like Windows), and would take a long time trying to make it multiplatform, where a website should already be multiplatform from the start.) Another alternative is something like Java, but then it requires you to have Java installed before you can use it, so again, website best option.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

I don't have a problem with the current text file configs. What I do have a problem with is myself. I forget I changed bobsconfig or rso and repacked them then update to the latest version without remembering that I need to save the old one and extract the config changes.
I've done this to myself more times than I care to admit.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, I agree that is the problem with it. I really need to figure out a way to store the settings somewhere else or something.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

solntcev
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by solntcev »

Web UI is interesting idea:

You can make page, that will contain template for config mod and store user changes locally (localStorage or cookies), and then will be able to generate fresh config mod archive from template and user overrides.

Only issue is that it will not have automatic updated. I wonder if factorio support other mod sources other than mods.factorio.com for updates.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

the scripting print to a file. the interesting bit is, can it read from this output file? if so you could dump the config options in the output and check if they changed since last start up. and may be there is the possibility to change the name of the output files who knows.

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

Isn't there a data structure for a mod that get's saved?
Maybe you can comment all config lines, user uncomment the line to change something.
The config options are saved in the data structure that is saved.
When you need the value in your code you check for a nil value, if nil use default setting, else use this setting.
When the bobconfig gets updated all the lines are commented again, but for already started games you have the data structure with the setting.
This way the modified config can survive an update.

Return to “Bob's mods”