[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.6.5] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

New update

v0.6.5
* Adds Russian translation (for content up to V0.6.4)
* Adds T2 to T5 mining drills
* Adds Large area mining drills, T2 to T5
* Adds T2 to T5 Pumpjacks
* Adds Obsidian to the Cobalt drop table if Obsidian exists

The recipes aren't final. I'm open to improvements. You may sugest new intermediate items, but keep them limited.

Personally I was thinking of making Mining heads as a component, and adding the new alloy Cobalt Steel, made by mixing Iron plates and Cobalt plates in a mixing furnace.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

bobingabout wrote:You may sugest new intermediate items, but keep them limited.
How about copper wire wrapped around iron gears to make crude electromagnetic motors? Possibly even have it require rods as well. They could replace circuit boards in some of the more mechanical items like basic electric inserters.

Could be scaled as well with better electromagnets made out of more expensive materials. Just a thought.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

if I were to do motors, or electromagnets, I'd probably not use a gear in it for the core, I'd more likely use a recipe that included iron plates and copper wire. I could add a new alloy for the magnetic cores too, but I can't remember what alloy it is they use for that, I'll have to look it up.

Also, currently, the recipe for the large area mining drill is the same recipe for the same tier of normal mining drills. Any sugestions on what I could do to make the recipes different?
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I'm aiming for thing like this: Titanium drill heads + Titanium drill support beams + Drill crane

titanium plate + gears > titanium drill head
titanium plate + titanium sticks -> titanium support beams
support beams + gears + plates -> drill crane
drill heads + drill crane + some random normal mining drill crap (out of ideas) -> large mining drill

STEP 4: Profit
Replace titanium with whatever tier of metal you want.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

bobingabout wrote:if I were to do motors, or electromagnets, I'd probably not use a gear in it for the core, I'd more likely use a recipe that included iron plates and copper wire. I could add a new alloy for the magnetic cores too, but I can't remember what alloy it is they use for that, I'll have to look it up.

Also, currently, the recipe for the large area mining drill is the same recipe for the same tier of normal mining drills. Any sugestions on what I could do to make the recipes different?
Don't have any thoughts for the drill sorry.

Pictures for reference.

I suggested gears and wire for a basic version because its something already in the game, and wouldn't take too much to change. More advanced versions would of course be made from different materials, in different combinations.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:I'm aiming for thing like this: Titanium drill heads + Titanium drill support beams + Drill crane

titanium plate + gears > titanium drill head
titanium plate + titanium sticks -> titanium support beams
support beams + gears + plates -> drill crane
drill heads + drill crane + some random normal mining drill crap (out of ideas) -> large mining drill

STEP 4: Profit
Replace titanium with whatever tier of metal you want.
That's a bit beyond what I was looking for, but not by a whole heap. I want to introduce some new intermediates, but not go over the top with them like I did with the Roboport parts in the Logistics mod. In that case the components were used in more than one device each, in this case each component would likely only be used once, twice at the most. Drill cranes being unique to the Large area mining drills, Drill heads used twice, but still only for the mining drills. Motors on the other hand could be used elsewhere too.
CreeperDaReeper wrote:I suggested gears and wire for a basic version because its something already in the game, and wouldn't take too much to change. More advanced versions would of course be made from different materials, in different combinations.
The matterial I was thinking of is "Electric steel", which is an Iron Silicon alloy, of about 2-4% silicon and >95% iron (magnesium or aluminium may be present). The name is actually misleading because electric steel is highly resistive to electrical current, it is instead designed for maximum magnetic permiabillity, which is what you need for a good electro magnet for use in Transformers or Motors.
I also have a Patreon.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

bobingabout wrote:New update

v0.6.5
* Adds Russian translation (for content up to V0.6.4)
* Adds T2 to T5 mining drills
* Adds Large area mining drills, T2 to T5
* Adds T2 to T5 Pumpjacks
* Adds Obsidian to the Cobalt drop table if Obsidian exists

The recipes aren't final. I'm open to improvements. You may sugest new intermediate items, but keep them limited.

Personally I was thinking of making Mining heads as a component, and adding the new alloy Cobalt Steel, made by mixing Iron plates and Cobalt plates in a mixing furnace.
think i like from this game :
Stone Furnace->Steel Furnace->Electric Furnace
Small electric pole->Medium electric pole->Big electric pole->Substation
Burner inserter->Inserter->Fast inserter->Smart inserter
all there items add sumthink new to the one that come befor.

Burner Mining Drill->Electric Mining Drill->??
some think to add?

Assembling machines 1->Assembling machines 2->Assembling machines 3-> to level 6
plz plz plz do not geting in to the MK(99) faad

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lee_newsum wrote: think i like from this game :

some think to add?

Assembling machines 1->Assembling machines 2->Assembling machines 3-> to level 6
I did add things for after Electric, but I'm not sure if there's room, since both are available from the start.

Also, 6 assembly machines is plenty enough, I see no reason to many anything higher level than currently exists for assembly machines.
I also have a Patreon.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

bobingabout wrote:
Lee_newsum wrote: think i like from this game :

some think to add?

I did add things for after Electric, but I'm not sure if there's room, since both are available from the start.

Also, 6 assembly machines is plenty enough, I see no reason to many anything higher level than currently exists for assembly machines.
as all ways peaple do not get what i am saying.
have MK1 to MK? is not good/fun
but the way the dev done some thinks like "Stone Furnace->Steel Furnace->Electric Furnace" this is fun and mack you think wen/how.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lee_newsum wrote:have MK1 to MK? is not good/fun
That's why I have different trees. There's one type that's just more powerful, but doesn't increase the mining area. And another that has a small speed increase, but increases the mining area.

Also, the "Upgrade to next tier" thing is a very common entity model in the game, and the dev's prefered route, Furnaces (that can't be upgraded from 1 tier to the next) is one of the exceptions to the rule. They're trying to make it so there are no "dead end" items that become useless when you can make something better, the easiest way to do this is make it so your turn your lesser item into a better one. I'm only following this pattern.

Realisticly, taking the case of the assembly machines, all the materials to upgrade a MK5 into a MK6... you could build a new MK6 for around the same cost, almost nothing of the MK5 remains once you've replaced all the guts, and even the frame with newer stronger versions with better materials, so logically, requiring the MK5 is a waste of resources. The reasons why it's in there is to prevent your old MK5 from being useless, and to give you a reason to keep building them, and keep up the consumption of the older resources.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

I get what he's saying though. Someone was complaining about exactly this in relation to Dytech a while back on Reddit. 'Oh boy, Mark 6 upgrades' is not exactly an exciting or interesting advancement in the game. The interesting aspect of your new mining rigs is the difference between the two types, not the upgrades from Marks 1 through 6 in their individual trees. The electric furnace is an attention-getter in the vanilla game because it alters the gameplay and logistics of that part of production so dramatically. You don't need coal directly for smelting anymore, but you need more space, and you have to up your power production to compensate, plus it gives you the option of customising your production in new ways with modules.

This is why I love Better Turrets so much, rough and unpolished as it is: Each new turret is interesting and different from its predecessor, and makes you think about how to use it properly.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

Degraine wrote:I get what he's saying though. Someone was complaining about exactly this in relation to Dytech a while back on Reddit. 'Oh boy, Mark 6 upgrades' is not exactly an exciting or interesting advancement in the game. The interesting aspect of your new mining rigs is the difference between the two types, not the upgrades from Marks 1 through 6 in their individual trees. The electric furnace is an attention-getter in the vanilla game because it alters the gameplay and logistics of that part of production so dramatically. You don't need coal directly for smelting anymore, but you need more space, and you have to up your power production to compensate, plus it gives you the option of customising your production in new ways with modules.

This is why I love Better Turrets so much, rough and unpolished as it is: Each new turret is interesting and different from its predecessor, and makes you think about how to use it properly.
well there is some out there, but you hit it on the head.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sometimes I do try to get a bit creative with what I'm designing, this is how I ended up with the different types of sub-roboport in the logistics mod. I did try some other things with the logistics/construction robots too, but nothing worked as intended, so I just stuck to Mk1 to MK4.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

The faster bots are useful. Much more responsive across large networks, so you don't need quite as large buffers of materials. But I actually like the modular roboports more. Haven't really been able to experiment with them very much though, since that save also used Dynamic Expansion and was set to large enemy bases... so it's rather difficult to push out from spawn and make it stick.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Is there a way to have storage box without charger? I wonder if bots can use charging pads instead of box charger for faster charging. When they're done they just line up to box, when they could just use charger nearby and then just go inside.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Hey bob,

I've been playing factorio with mods for several months now and your mods are my favourite :D I especially like the electronics override, the modular roboports, and the tungsten and nickel production lines. I also like how the last robots require lithium batteries, I'm just working on making those now. I've found a nice combination of your mods and the dytech mods. I don't use your modules because they override the dytech modules is there anyway I could play with both? Your assembly machines also override the dytech ones but I don't mind that because I like your assembly machines better.

Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to bobs warfare.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:Is there a way to have storage box without charger? I wonder if bots can use charging pads instead of box charger for faster charging. When they're done they just line up to box, when they could just use charger nearby and then just go inside.
The one thing you can't turn off from a roboport is the "Robots try to charge here" functionality. if you set the charging pad count to 0, then the Robots that arn't fully charged will go to the storage box, and hover at the charge queue outter marker, and wait there indefinitely. The only option to make them work was to give them a single charging pad, which means they need a power supply.
British_Petroleum wrote:Hey bob,

I've been playing factorio with mods for several months now and your mods are my favourite :D I especially like the electronics override, the modular roboports, and the tungsten and nickel production lines. I also like how the last robots require lithium batteries, I'm just working on making those now. I've found a nice combination of your mods and the dytech mods. I don't use your modules because they override the dytech modules is there anyway I could play with both? Your assembly machines also override the dytech ones but I don't mind that because I like your assembly machines better.

Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to bobs warfare.
Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to make my Modules mod work with DyTech's Modules mod.
Most of what I add, he also adds, just with different recipes. Unless he's made changes since the last time I looked, My numbers are very similar to his numbers. The only real advantage my mods have over his are the addition of my merged modules, other than that, just 2 different routes. I'll agree that mine is way more complex to build too.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Obviously we need better modding API for logistics, robots that will not charge before storing when they have 75-90%+ energy left so there can be small room for bots to fly home from charger without needing to charge.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think the charge before store logic comes into play with the fact that when stored the robot becomes an item again, and in the process loses the information about how much energy is stored in it (because it becomes part of a stack). the same thing happens when you grab them out of the air, when you deploy them again afterwards, they're at 100% energy.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Well maybe if they start with 90 and can dock with 90+ it would solve problem.

Return to “Bob's mods”