Bob's Mods Additions

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Bob's Mods Additions

Post by OvermindDL1 »

I am curious about things that Bob's Mods might be considered missing as a stand-alone mod pack. Initial thoughts for me come to tree farm processing. I know that DyTech has a few things that Bob's Mods do not in terms of different functionality (not equivalent, I.E. ignore the liquid metal processing as Bob's Mods handles metal processing just fine), but purely a different functionality or tiering, for example I like the extra materials used in making DyTech's Ore Miners (though that Exit part bugs me for some reason...). What are they and basic descriptions there-of as well as what they add to the gameplay? Are there any other mods that are purely technical in design that have functionality that would be truly useful with Bobs Mods and not unbalancing to the gameplay, ignoring any other aspects that the mods may have. I have a few ideas in mind but unsure if I have time to work on them as of yet, but regardless, having a thread of functionality that would be truly useful to add to and would fit in well to Bob's Mods would be useful for Bob to look at for ideas and/or others to start implementing as well to work with Bob's Mods.

It would also be interesting to get a list of useful new functionality to add that would require scripting as those could be added by others in an add-on mod to Bob's Mods since Bob's Mods tries to stay streamlined, I.E., no scripts.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Bob's Mods Additions

Post by Takezu »

I find myself often using ofshoredump and voidchest.
Ecxess handeling can be a pain in the...
Something like that whatever it is even if it creats 100000 pollution would be nice to have.

Thing is, bobs has so many byproducts that halt the process if the doesn't get dumped out. Either through using it in an other process,
what rarly ends up being balanced, or through storing which can be space consuming over time.

I'm curios why you're first thought goes towards tree farming?
Well true i costs a bit of wood cutting to get to oil processing, but after that wood itself looses it's usefullness?

Another thought of mine would be upgrades to radars, thats almost the only thing im missing from dytech.
And another use for those fancy rockets then the handheld rocketlauncher.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Takezu wrote:I find myself often using ofshoredump and voidchest.
Something like that whatever it is even if it creats 100000 pollution would be nice to have.
Can you describe offshoredump? I do not like the concept of Void Chests, perhaps I could make an Incinerator that eats tons of power and spits out pollution, that sounds balanced to me, though it might require a script, unsure of a way to do that without runtime scripts, if there is then Bob could add it.
Takezu wrote:Thing is, bobs has so many byproducts that halt the process if the doesn't get dumped out. Either through using it in an other process,
what rarly ends up being balanced, or through storing which can be space consuming over time.
Indeed, which is why dumping materials out should not be cheap.
Takezu wrote:I'm curios why you're first thought goes towards tree farming?
Well true i costs a bit of wood cutting to get to oil processing, but after that wood itself looses it's usefullness?
True, but that is mostly due to the tree farming mod being... heavy.
Takezu wrote:Another thought of mine would be upgrades to radars, thats almost the only thing im missing from dytech.
And another use for those fancy rockets then the handheld rocketlauncher.
Radar upgrades would be useful yeah, and trivial for Bob to add...

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

OvermindDL1 wrote:
Takezu wrote:I find myself often using ofshoredump and voidchest.
Can you describe offshoredump? I do not like the concept of Void Chests, perhaps I could make an Incinerator that eats tons of power and spits out pollution, that sounds balanced to me, though it might require a script, unsure of a way to do that without runtime scripts, if there is then Bob could add it.
Well i'd would be happier if it would cost energy, but atm are voidchest and offshoredump only pollution producer,
but i think the pollution was quite high per operation.
Offshoredump is like a offshorepump, only for the other way around.
Technically it seems voidchest and osd are more or less furnaces, they give both of light when opperating and
they have the ironplate smelting icon when activ. Unfortunately i'm fairly certain that both mods use scripts for that.

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

I might be missing something since I'm new to Bob's mods, but it looks like some kind of automated wood is important early on. There is high demand for basic circuit board which requires wood. I'm not keen on manually harvesting thousands of trees. Once plastics are researched, there is synthetic wood. But until then, it's just you and your axe.
(I am doing it manually now and will add in treefarm if it is too much)

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Yeah plastics isn't that far into the tech. and at that point where a Treefarming system obsolet.
It's a bit inconvinient maybe, also i've never felt that way, but chopping every now and then som hundredts wood,
until automatet via Oilproduction isn't that bad.
On the other Hand there is Treefarm lite, and as far as i'Ve gatherd, treefarming would either be hardcoded or rely on scripts.
Someone may correct me about that, i'm no modder.

Well as said don'T find the real need for it, could be my play style. Find it somwhat special, usually i rush tu trains and
get a car relativ quick becaus its on the way, so drive to the next forrest chop some wood most times round 1k and park the car next to the inserter for wood.
For me not having an automation gives use to the car trunk :)

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

I agree now. I just played through that part of the game and had enough wood simply from clearing around the base. No treefarm needed unless there is no wood at your spawn point.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Flux Faraday wrote:No treefarm needed unless there is no wood at your spawn point.
If that happens the RNG must really really hates you ;)

I had that one time. the next forrest was 500 tiles east, thats where my idea with the car was born. the First trecks where a pin in the...
But then i got the Car, it made somwhat fun drving out chopping wood and then using che car as mobile chest ^^.

Now that i'm thinking about Vehicles, Warfare could use a Tank MK2 and better Cannonshells.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Takezu wrote:
Flux Faraday wrote:Now that i'm thinking about Vehicles, Warfare could use a Tank MK2 and better Cannonshells.
I don't have much time to mod currently. I do have plans to add a better tank, I've actually already written the code for a tank cannon MK2 and a gattling gun as vehicle weapons. I also wrote in research to upgrade the tank cannon.
I'm currently working on armor modules, and turrets though.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Nice to hear :)
Well nobody said it should be there yesterday, it's your mod and your freetime.
But nice to know what maybe around the corner.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I have mod that i made with one more guy and we added things that we thought are missing from Bobs, also i did heavy tuning of some game balance like RSO+Scalar modules rewrite etc. I've yet to make myself code productivity modules whitelist.

I added weapons, turrets (all with custom sounds), armors ,side inserters. Pretty fun to mow down creeps with heavy machine gun or dualwield 2 MP5s.

Return to “Bob's mods”