Bob's mods: The walkthrough. WIP

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Bob's mods: The walkthrough. WIP

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, I'm going to attempt to write a guide on how to play the game using my mods.

This will include a few calculations to help work out what are good factory ratios, as well as screenshots of some of this in practice (eventually).

Index.
Chapter 0: Installation and Setup.
Chapter 1: Getting started.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bob's mods: The walkthrough. WIP

Post by bobingabout »

Chapter 0: Installation and Setup.

The first step is to install and configure the mods.
My mods are designed to be Modular, this means you can choose which packages to install. Personally, I would recomend the entire package, but not everyone wants to do so.

Once you have downloaded the mod files you would like to use, you have 2 options.

Option 1: Running with the default settings.
In this instance, you can place the zip files directly in the mods folder of factorio. Then you're done and ready to move onto the next step.

Option 2: If you want to be able to change the config files, Unzip, Extract, or Unpackage (or whatever else the software of your choice wants too call it) the contents of the zip file into the mods folder. The zip itself contains a folder with the same name of itself, this is the folder that should be placed in your mods folder.
The next step is the config files. This step is actually entirely optional, but this is why you extracted the files, rather than leaving them in their zip archive. Certain features can be turned on and off, numbers edited. To change these settings, or just see what can be changed, open the config.lua file of each mod in any text editor, they are located in the main folder of each mod, along side info.json and data.lua. Not every mod will have a config file. These files are commented to allow you to see what the settings do at a glance, and should remain in the structure as they are.

Once you have all the files in place, load the game and make sure it all works, check the mods settings to make sure it's all turned on and white.

Once it is all up and running, Start a new game.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bob's mods: The walkthrough. WIP

Post by bobingabout »

Chapter 1: Getting started.

When you go to start a new game the first thing you'll notice is that Map generation lists far more resources, these settings are all up to yourself, different resources will naturally apear more often if it's highly used, or less often and smaller if it is used less often, or required later in the game. Most of these resources do not apear in the "Starting Area", the exceptions are those that are required early on, such as Tin, Galena for Lead, and Quartz for Glass and Silicon.

When you actually do get into the game, have a look around, and make sure all the required resources are available to you. You will need Copper, Iron, Stone and Coal, just like the base game, plus Tin, Galena and Quartz, Oil in the starting area would be a good thing too. And probably the most important thing... wood, lots of wood, My electronic chain uses wood to make the lower tiers of electronics, so without wood, your progress will be limited.

If you find all these, then you're good to start playing.

You should start out as always by making an iron pick, maybe two, and start chopping down some trees, plan out where your starting area Coal, Iron and Copper mines will be, and where you want to set up your steam power plant, and a fairly open area close to the mines for setting up your research labs.

Once you've planned things out a bit, start mining. The start of the game isn't that different from unmodded factorio, the first change you'll notice is a few extra recipe catagory tabs, Electronics being moved to one of these new tabs. so untill you start making some electronic circuits, the start of the game is as normal.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”