Few Questions about bobs mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Few Questions about bobs mod.

Post by Kane »

So I been seeing a lot of people streaming Bobs mod for a while. I had tried Dytech a year ago or so when I first was checking out mods. It was actually first real time I played the game it was pretty much a death world and best part I actually got far and I had no frigan clue about robots so I was making everything work without taking damage hehe.. But enough of my crazy young days I have some questions.

1. How well does bobs mod work right now with MP? I'm planning running a headless Linux Server with about 4 players with decent I7's. We been running server for a while for basic game and it's working well.

2. I know that RSO works well with Bob's mod but how well? Would Bob himself recommend it? The reason I ask is I want the best experince possible but with a MASSIVE and I mean massive usage of trains and at a distance not close range. I tend to actually modify RSO a lot to increase the range.

3. How is the Biters? I know you add new ones and do some changes. Do you touch their AI at all or is that even possible maybe script events etc? Right now we found them quite boring with Vanilla RSO so In x4 the Spawns but I also make their expansion happen 4 times less then the max + I had disabled base expansion range of players. Meaning they will build a nasty base on top of your tracks if you don't protect them.
That being said I also found vanilla sort of boring because you either are stuck with tank at lower levels and at higher levels your forced with bots or tower wars.
Also do you change anything with evolution? I always found it quick so I removed everything but pollution based Evo for a longer enjoyment and build up.

4. What do you offer besides longer progression. I hear you add new tiers of a lot of equipment but do you add anything new or refreshing that gives you something interesting. Like a new power generation or new way to travel or fight or even do certain things.

5. This one will be challenging. If the MP Question was answered it works fine then we play with forces. Meaning that each player has their own team. We turn turret attacks off but we like our own progression. That being said we need to because we want 4 of our own bases manually place the ores down. What would be recommended numbers and what ores? For example I normally start with 277k of each ore and 50k of stone and 5 oils at about 80% each. What would you suggest I set and start with?

Thank you for your time.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Few Questions about bobs mod.

Post by bobingabout »

1. Bobsmods work very well with multiplayer, mostly because one of the things I've outlined from the begining is that I'm trying to write a mod that doesn't use scripts. Currently there is 1 script, the clock mod. The only thing you really need to make sure is that everyone is using the same config files, the game doesn't really know how to act if you use different config files, so I would recomend you stick to the defaults.

2. RSO. I personally can't recomend it, because I've not really used it, but don't mis-interperate that is recommending not to use it. If you want to costomise the ore generation as you've mentioned in your post, then I would say it is a good idea to use it.

3. Biters. I do not change the way they behave, or any of the evolution settings at all. There are plenty of other mods that do this, so I thought it would be best to leave that to them.

4. Kind of a hard question to answer... As said I'm not using scripting, which means a lot of "New" concepts, like new forms of power arn't viable without scripting, so most of the mod is expansion on what already exists, like more ores, higher tier machines etc. There are a few places where I try to mix things up a bit though, like ammos with different damage types, so they're more or less effective against certain enemies, and different varieties of accumulators, so you have the more buffer types with high transfer and low storage, aimed for areas where machines stop and start constantly from a steady power source(maybe laser defences), or the storage types with low transfer and high storage, aimed for that long night solar storage.

5. Quantity of each ore... Well, the "Starting area" ores typically have Tin as abundant as copper/iron, and then Lead/Galena and Silicon as abundant as stone. This lets you craft the new electronics all the way through advanced electronics 1 without needing to leave the start area, though some of my newer items and machines will force you to look for other resources, like titanium.
I used to have some numbers for most of my ores, but I've taken to comparing their quantities to those similar to existing ores. I think Titanium is probably the only one that is really needed as much as iron, everything else would probably be best described as stone quantites. However, there are some ores that are almost completely neglected in my mods, such as Silver, and Zinc (it is used, just rarely)

Hope that helps.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”