[0.12.x][addon] Graphic addon to Bob's mods

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.12.x][addon] Graphic addon to Bob's mods

Post by DungeonRyu »

Good day!
First of all, I wanna say that Bob's mods are amazing. If anyone ever modded he knows how much effort requires to make such complex modules as Bob's mods. Thanks you Bob :)

I've enjoyed playing with Bob's mods expanded Factorio for many hours, however, I always wanted to have a visual understanding of what tier of the structure I'm looking at. So I decided to create a small graphic addon to complement his work. Nothing fancy just some basic recoloring in order to be able to identify the tier of the building just by looking at it.

Steam-engines from Bob's Power
MK2 - yellow, MK3 - red. Similar to the original game.
Steam Engines
Storage Tanks from Bob's Logistics
MK2 - yellow, MK3 - red, MK4 - green. I didn't want them to appear fully painted but to have their paint almost completely fallen off except for the roof.
Storage Tanks

Pumpjacks from Bob's Mining
MK2 - yellow, MK3 - red, MK4 - blue, MK5 - white(I wanted to try something new)
Pumpjacks
Pumjacks in action
Mining Drills from Bob's Mining
MK2 - yellow, MK3 - red, MK4 - blue, MK5 - green

I also changed the default icon for the Drills, since the one that comes with Factorio looks nothing like the mining drill but rather as a fan or a transmitting station. I'm not very happy with my version either since I'm not big of a spiter, but I tried to create a drill from a mining drill.
Mining Drills
Icons
I'll change area mining drill icons, since their "A" is covered with the digits which represents the number of items you are holding.
Icons
Ammunition icons for the Bob's warfare mod
Ammo icons
Last edited by DungeonRyu on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][addon] Graphic addon to Bob's mods

Post by DungeonRyu »

I'll post links for the modfied version of Bob's mods a bit later if anyone is interested.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

DungeonRyu wrote:I'll post links for the modfied version of Bob's mods a bit later if anyone is interested.
Remember the liscence rules state that you're not allowed to distribute modified versions of my mod.

Now, I don't have any problem at all with you editing my mod for your own use, or creating extra content for it, but modified works leads to inconsistancies, and also makes it difficult when I update.

If you want to distribute such things (Which not only do I not mind, but actually encourage) you should do it as a seperate mod that modifies my own.

I can give you tips and examples on how to create a graphics overide if you're interested.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Don't want to shame your effort, but there already is a mod which does the same thing for bob mods:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=19970

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Arch666Angel wrote:Don't want to shame your effort, but there already is a mod which does the same thing for bob mods:
I didn't even know that one existed. I see he mentions McGuten, we've actually been in contact a fair bit, he uses my library mod as a backbone for his mining stuff.
I also have a Patreon.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

Arch666Angel wrote:Don't want to shame your effort, but there already is a mod which does the same thing for bob mods:
I was not aware of those mods, but there is no shame. The work that qjm123 did on the animations shows a lot more effort that my simple recoloring. I still however preffer some of my own my recolors since some of his colored objects are way too saturated for my tastes. And I still hate the default mining drill icon, no matter how many colors you apply to it :D
bobingabout wrote:
DungeonRyu wrote:I'll post links for the modfied version of Bob's mods a bit later if anyone is interested.
Remember the liscence rules state that you're not allowed to distribute modified versions of my mod.

Now, I don't have any problem at all with you editing my mod for your own use, or creating extra content for it, but modified works leads to inconsistancies, and also makes it difficult when I update.

If you want to distribute such things (Which not only do I not mind, but actually encourage) you should do it as a seperate mod that modifies my own.

I can give you tips and examples on how to create a graphics overide if you're interested.
I'm not a novice to a modding community you won't have any problem with me. I mod or tweak existing mods of almost any game I play. I also respect the work of others. :)

I'm very interested in how can you override a default icon, since I don't think that's a great idea to just replace an existing mining drill Factorio icon.

As for the mod dependances I'll appreciate that, since I only started to figure them out and didn't try it.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

DungeonRyu wrote:
I was not aware of those mods, but there is no shame. The work that qjm123 did on the animations shows a lot more effort that my simple recoloring. I still however preffer some of my own my recolors since some of his colored objects are way too saturated for my tastes. And I still hate the default mining drill icon, no matter how many colors you apply to it :D
Maybe you want to work with him on this? :P Yeah the fully coloured/saturated ones were also pointed out in the thread, but he seems to be working on coloured highlights versions, I pointed him to using overlays/layered textures so that the overall size for the graphics is reduced. An idea which I also "lend" from bob ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

DungeonRyu wrote:I'm very interested in how can you override a default icon, since I don't think that's a great idea to just replace an existing mining drill Factorio icon.
An example of replacing an icon from my ores mod

Code: Select all

data.raw.item["stone"].icon = "__bobores__/graphics/icons/stone.png"
You can do the same with any item, and you should do the same with it's entity too, since the entity uses an icon for the map editor, and it would be a good idea if it matched the item.

you can replace any tag like this if you know the full table tree, so a typical graphics overide for an entity would be very similar, replacing either the whole animation section, like this:

data.raw["mining-drill"]["bob-mining-drill-1"].animations = (
    {
      north =
      {
        priority = "extra-high",
        width = 110,
        height = 114,
        line_length = 8,
        shift = {0.2, -0.2},
        filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/north.png",
        frame_count = 64,
        animation_speed = 1,
        run_mode = "forward-then-backward",
      },
      east =
      {
        priority = "extra-high",
        width = 129,
        height = 100,
        line_length = 8,
        shift = {0.45, 0},
        filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/east.png",
        frame_count = 64,
        animation_speed = 1,
      },
      south =
      {
        priority = "extra-high",
        width = 109,
        height = 111,
        line_length = 8,
        shift = {0.15, 0},
        filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/south.png",
        frame_count = 64,
        animation_speed = 1,
      },
      west =
      {
        priority = "extra-high",
        width = 128,
        height = 100,
        line_length = 8,
        shift = {0.25, 0},
        filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/west.png",
        frame_count = 64,
        animation_speed = 1,
      }
    }
)
note the brackets around the whole thing similar to how data:extend starts with the same bracket before the first bracer.

Or if all the other stats are the same (EG, you just recoloured the existing graphics, so the sheet is the same layout) you could replace the individual "filename" tags, like this:

data.raw["mining-drill"]["bob-mining-drill-1"].animations.north.filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/north.png"
data.raw["mining-drill"]["bob-mining-drill-1"].animations.east.filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/east.png"
data.raw["mining-drill"]["bob-mining-drill-1"].animations.south.filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/south.png"
data.raw["mining-drill"]["bob-mining-drill-1"].animations.west.filename = "__base__/graphics/entity/basic-mining-drill/west.png"
Hope that helps.
I also have a Patreon.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

Arch666Angel wrote: Maybe you want to work with him on this? :P Yeah the fully coloured/saturated ones were also pointed out in the thread, but he seems to be working on coloured highlights versions, I pointed him to using overlays/layered textures so that the overall size for the graphics is reduced. An idea which I also "lend" from bob ;)
That would've been fun, but I don't see how, his skills are superior to mine and the only thing I can think of is to recolor using his templates.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

Created first version of icons for Bob's warfare mod. Right now for rockets and shells.

Research before

Research after

and inventory before(upper belt slots, after lower belt slots)

I also change colors a bit.

Normal is black, AP - the same, Impact - yellow, Explosion - orange/red or red, flame - orange, acid and poison the same.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I do like the new icons for the rockets and shotgun shells, however, you probably should have left the colours (Red, Orange and Yellow) as they were, as they corrospond to the colour of the artifacts used to research and create them.
I also have a Patreon.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

bobingabout wrote:I do like the new icons for the rockets and shotgun shells, however, you probably should have left the colours (Red, Orange and Yellow) as they were, as they corrospond to the colour of the artifacts used to research and create them.
Oh, I see. Well, I guess I'll change them back except for the gray one, since gray does not look good and there is no gray science.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

DungeonRyu wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I do like the new icons for the rockets and shotgun shells, however, you probably should have left the colours (Red, Orange and Yellow) as they were, as they corrospond to the colour of the artifacts used to research and create them.
Oh, I see. Well, I guess I'll change them back except for the gray one, since gray does not look good and there is no gray science.
Grey being black is fine. I only really used grey because that's what the coloured ones looked like with no saturation.
I also have a Patreon.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

Changed colours back to default. Added bullet magazines, changed them from pistol clips to rifle magazines.

Research

Inventory
upper row before, 2nd row after, 3d row shells, 4th row rockets

Return to “Bob's mods”