Smelting using liquid fuel

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

shadowdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Smelting using liquid fuel

Post by shadowdragon »

Hi, just wanted to say I love Bob's mods but I found that despite how realistic it make the game, it still doesn't use any of the flammable liquids and gasses. Irl, you can find many examples of using gasses and liquids to melt metals.

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Smelting using liquid fuel

Post by sporefreak »

shadowdragon wrote:... liquids to melt metals.
Like lava :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

shadowdragon wrote:Hi, just wanted to say I love Bob's mods but I found that despite how realistic it make the game, it still doesn't use any of the flammable liquids and gasses. Irl, you can find many examples of using gasses and liquids to melt metals.
Unfortunately, the game itself does not support using liquids as fuels (YET), it MAY be possible to bodge something along these lines with scripting, but the safe bet right now is to use items. This is one reason why the solid fuel block from hydrogen recipe exists (even though it now uses coal, so it's more of a coal upgrade to fuel block where hydrogen is an ingredient).

Originally (when I didn't have all that much stuff in the mod), you could bottle hydrogen (which you still can) and the bottled hydrogen item was a fuel item (with around 500 MJ fuel value, powerful stuff), that you could put in a fuel slot. However, there is no mechanic to turn one item into another when used as fuel, so the bottle was lost.

Because the bottle was lost, people complained, hence the transition to a fuel block, and people complained because you could make it give you more energy than it cost to make, hence adding the coal to the recipe. (It was that, or over 100 hydroden for 1 fuel block, and given that hydrogen can't be made into a solid in reality, I went for the +coal option, to make it look like you're making some kind of hydrocarbon fuel block)

The alternate method would be to make a unique kind of furnace that has additional recipes for every smelting recipe, that adds a liquid fuel to the recipe, to simulate using fuel to heat it, but you'd have to create a unique recipe not only for every smelting recipe, but for every kind of liquid fuel too. so if you had 10 smelting recipes, and 4 liquid fuels, that's an additional 40 smelting recipes...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

shadowdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shadowdragon »

bobingabout wrote: Unfortunately, the game itself does not support using liquids as fuels (YET), it MAY be possible to bodge something along these lines with scripting, but the safe bet right now is to use items. This is one reason why the solid fuel block from hydrogen recipe exists (even though it now uses coal, so it's more of a coal upgrade to fuel block where hydrogen is an ingredient).
That's too bad. It would make the game that much better but I can see how that could be difficult implement. Oh well.

Return to “Bob's mods”