water pump size?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

water pump size?

Post by sparr »

the sprite is 1x2 but the collision box is 2x2. is this intentional?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: water pump size?

Post by bobingabout »

sparr wrote:the sprite is 1x2 but the collision box is 2x2. is this intentional?
Yes.

Basically, it's my attempt at a copy and paste sprite, but I never finished it.... because I'm not too good with the graphics side of things. in my opinion a 2x2 is required to give propper inserter access.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

90% of my pumps are for pure water, no inserter required. It would be nice if it was smaller. If not, no problem, I can just remember those spaces are occupied.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Just for your information, when 0.13 hits, those water recipes will be removed in favour of Minable water patches, similar to oil. A lot of people don't like the idea of a machine that makes infinite water (even though the idea is of ground water, pumping it up from deep underground).

I MIGHT make a config option, or even auto-config so that they're available anyway if you turn the minable water patches off.
I also have a Patreon.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

I'm one of those people. I'll be glad to see water go back to needing piping/barreling like all my other liquid resources. It will make things like the HCl production chain seem less pointless.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

One of the other things I was considering, mostly because both Water to Oxygen and Hydrogen electrolysis AND salt water to Hydrogen, Chlorine and Sodium hydroxide electrolysis exist, and salt comes from boiling water, so salt must be in the water that gives oxygen and hydrogen, meaning in theory it must give some chlorine too........... I was considering more than 1 type of water. Now the easiest method is probably that the off shore pump gives salt water, which you have to clean to use in recipes that want clean water. but there's more that should require clean water than salt water, and although you can use either safely in the power system, you pretty much need the specific water for every recipe.

Which leaves me at a bit of a dilemma as to how I should actually implement the idea.

Just 2 different offshore pumps that give salt water "Water", and a filtered version that gives clean water? All water is dirty and needs cleaning first before it can be used for the general production? I don't know... Perhaps I should put up a poll somewhere.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Maybe you have a look at N Chemistry which adds salt water.

N Chemistry and your mods can't work with salt water because refining salt water needs a chemical plant (which needs the circuit with the resistor with carbon from coal and water) which needs electric power which needs a steam plant which needs water.

I guess you have a good plan for that :)

Just want to add that if N Chemistry detect bob, salt water is deactivated. No rant intended.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

bobingabout wrote:Now the easiest method is probably that the off shore pump gives salt water, which you have to clean to use in recipes that want clean water. but there's more that should require clean water than salt water, and although you can use either safely in the power system, you pretty much need the specific water for every recipe.

Which leaves me at a bit of a dilemma as to how I should actually implement the idea.
The limited water mod differentiates between small bodies of water (which disappear when pumped) and large bodies (which are infinite). Perhaps steal their logic (however it works) and make small bodies of fresh water and large bodies of salt water?

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

sparr wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Now the easiest method is probably that the off shore pump gives salt water, which you have to clean to use in recipes that want clean water. but there's more that should require clean water than salt water, and although you can use either safely in the power system, you pretty much need the specific water for every recipe.

The limited water mod differentiates between small bodies of water (which disappear when pumped) and large bodies (which are infinite). Perhaps steal their logic (however it works) and make small bodies of fresh water and large bodies of salt water?
+1

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Considering the water created by the pump is coded in the data phase, by the time you get into the game it would be unchangeable, though technically you could have a different entity for the different water, and change to it via a script, though I Really don't want to use scripts.

I'd probably rather just go with salt water, and have a filter of some kind to create clean water. The earliest recipe I can think of that uses water as an ingredient is in my own technologies, chemical boiler to make carbon, or electrolysis. Base game wise isn't until the oil industry, which is plenty of time to add filtering.

Though, there is something else that you guys aren't aware of. I'll be adding "Ground water" splotches, like oil splotches, Mining sites that give "Water", which would be pure water. So, you can pure water from mining splotches, and pump salt water from the lakes and oceans. Perhaps that, with a technology to filter the salt water would be enough.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Sounds great.

View unread Posts

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

bobingabout wrote: Though, there is something else that you guys aren't aware of. I'll be adding "Ground water" splotches, like oil splotches,
You actually did mention this before .-.

Personally, I think the pumps are enough (Maybe a texture change) but currently, water from nothing is a bit weird (they don't look like they are connected to the ground)

I also think the spring splotches are a bit unnecessary, just add salt water purification using the machines you already have adding a pipe output for water?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Bare minimum I need a source for Lithia water, so I intend to add lithia water splotches.

I do have ideas for how to add purification.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

You can just add lika a return osmoses unit which generates lithia water from water.

View unread Posts

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

With my refining mod I change it so you have to process regular water first into purified and saline water, which go into the processing or for the saline into bobs electrolysis.

Return to “Bob's mods”