0.14.x Cannot create wooden boards by hand?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

kwillie28
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

0.14.x Cannot create wooden boards by hand?

Post by kwillie28 »

I am playing Bob's mods for the first time so I apologize if I am missing something. In order to craft a lab, I need basic circuit boards, which require wooden boards. Both tell me they cannot be crafted in hand. I cannot build an assembly machine without research, which I cannot do without a lab...... Am I missing something?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.14.x Cannot create wooden boards by hand?

Post by orzelek »

kwillie28 wrote:I am playing Bob's mods for the first time so I apologize if I am missing something. In order to craft a lab, I need basic circuit boards, which require wooden boards. Both tell me they cannot be crafted in hand. I cannot build an assembly machine without research, which I cannot do without a lab...... Am I missing something?
It's a known game bug.
Once you obtain a way of making synthetic wood then recipe unlocks to make wooden boards from it and autocrafter "forgets" that normal one from wood exists.
You can go around it by making first wooden boards then items you need to make.
I'd recommend simply carrying electronic boards with you instead if you like to craft by hand.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It is a bug that has existed ever since I wrote the recipe back in 0.10.x, and I have personally reported it in the bug reporting sub forum more than once, not to mention anyone else reporting it there, but the devs have never done anything about it.

I have looked into fixing the issue with work arounds, but short of removing synthetic wood completely, there is no solution that works. Even if you made wood directly, then you'd have the same issue where it wouldn't turn logs into wood automatically either, so you'd have to make logs instead, and that brings the issue that you can then break them down to make seedlings... which is, yeah, you just made tree seedlings from oil...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

gdxysghysrdefght
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gdxysghysrdefght »

There is a rather easy fix to this. I don't know the commands, but there are some vanilla commands, that let you "unlearn all research"... I remember that i somehow used that to fix that error.
I think what you have to do is... either not learn the second wood recipe, or get the second one first.
It's not a good solution, but usually... redoing all researches only takes a few minutes, since you are much much much faster at researching then you were when you initially did it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Considering the first recipe is unlocked by default, and the second via research, you can't learn the second one first. on top of this, the second one is unlocked via plastics research, and therefore you really can't avoid learning it.

This is actually one of the few problems where I haven't thought of a viable solution yet...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

anarchyinc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by anarchyinc »

bobingabout wrote:Considering the first recipe is unlocked by default, and the second via research, you can't learn the second one first. on top of this, the second one is unlocked via plastics research, and therefore you really can't avoid learning it.

This is actually one of the few problems where I haven't thought of a viable solution yet...
My quick solution was to just comment that out of your mod, I always have more wood than I know what to do with so I personally don't need another source. Another option would be to simply give synthetic wood it's own research so that it isn't unlocked automatically.
"Friends don't let friends drink & drive", "Gamers don't let gamers install steam"

adampm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by adampm »

I've run into this problem directly after researching plastics, It will not let me make any recipe that requires regular wood, which is unfortunate.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

adampm wrote:I've run into this problem directly after researching plastics, It will not let me make any recipe that requires regular wood, which is unfortunate.
If you craft the boards you need by hand you will be able to make anything that uses them by hand.

Nafen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nafen »

The way my friend and I 'fixed' it when we play is to change the recipe for wooden-board-synthetic to be in category "electronics-machine" and then you can't handcraft using that recipe anymore.

It's in bobelectronics zip in electronics.lua

Code: Select all

type = "recipe",
    name = "wooden-board-synthetic",
    category = "electronics",
Just change the "electronics", to "crafting-machine",

Return to “Bob's mods”