[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

nagapito wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
nagapito wrote:A little off topic but... since the settings are global, can I override the default values with a second mod that has the first mod registered as a dependency?
Like, make my mod depend on, let say, bob's modules, and on my data.lua set values to the settings? Then my values would be the ones used right?

And what would happen if the user changed the settings. Will my mod always override user configuration on client load?
If you were to overide them, then you would overide the settings menu, yes.

However, since I define and use them in the same phase, the only way for you to overide them would be to do it on the module itself, not using my settings.

Pretty much everything that can be configured adds an option to the ingame menu now though, so I'm not sure why you'd want to overide my settings.
I made the mod that changes your modules to have vanilla bonuses, so they arent so powerful. The modules bonuses I am overriding on the module itself since your 'step' system makes configuring the intermediary values a lot of trouble and results in strange values for the intermediary levels. And it also does not allow to have different energy bonuses per module type.
But my issue is with the raw/green/god and productivity effect options. If I could override them when the mod is present, the player would not have to go disable them manually.

In the end, its a small inconvenient that I am willing to live with but was curious if there was a way of doing it properly.
I'm not entirely sure what the base game options are any more, but AFAIK, it should be possible to change them similar to base game stats via the config options, especially since I separated penalties from bonuses.
but yes, there is still the slight issue that the consumption cost of speed modules will be the same as the cost on productivity modules, or fairly close anyway (my steps must be linier, base games arn't)
To have the same values for MK1 and MK3 (but not quite MK2) based on Productivity's consumption rather than speed's, set them to...

Speed bonus start: 0.05
Speed bonus per level: 0.15
it then goes 0.2, 0.35, 0.5 (Speed is actually 0.2, 0.3, 0.5)
Consumption bonus start: 0.2
Consumption bonus per level:0.1
it then goes 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, same as consumption module.
Productivity bonus start: 0.01
Productivity bonus per level: 0.03
it then goes 0.04, 0.07, 0.1 (Productivity is actually 0.04, 0.06, 0.1)
Consumption penalty start: 0.2
Consumption penalty per level: 0.2
it then goes 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 (Same as productivity, speed is 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, and can be done with 0.4 start and 0.1 per level)
Pollution penalty start: 0.025
Pollution penalty per level: 0.025
it then goes 0.05, 0.075, 0.1 (Same as productivity module)
Speed penalty start: 0.15
speed penalty per level: 0
It then stays at 0.15 for all 3 levels, same as productivity module.
Turn on Speed penalty of productivity option.

That's about as close to base game config as you can go.

Why no options for each module? Well, I can do it, but be honest, the config list is long enough as it is, do you really want me to change them to allow you to configure the options per module, and allow you to define the value for each tier? the list would be several screens long. I decided to go with what I did to give you a very configurable set of options, without going over the top.

As for merged, no, there's no way to bypass the config options as is, they're used directly in the data phase, so if your mod follows mine, they've already been used to create the merged modules.

Honestly though, with all you want to change in my mod, it sounds like you'd be better off telling people to not use it, you seem to want to override pretty much everything.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote: Honestly though, with all you want to change in my mod, it sounds like you'd be better off telling people to not use it, you seem to want to override pretty much everything.
More or less :)

I want the complexity you added to the modules, I just feel they are OP with current stats.
I want to increase complexity and production chains on my game, so the reason to use your mods, angels and a couple other that make the game more complex and challenging.
The current stats of the modules just ended in one of 2 scenarios for me: not use them or so powerful that I was not required to build big. But I want to also play with modules and beacons mechanics so I nerfed them to vanilla stats.

Besides the OP stats, I just love the mod. Makes me to actually having to work for modules and makes them more expensive as they should be! (Vanilla modules are too cheap and too easy to produce)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

nagapito wrote:
bobingabout wrote: Honestly though, with all you want to change in my mod, it sounds like you'd be better off telling people to not use it, you seem to want to override pretty much everything.

I want the complexity you added to the modules, I just feel they are OP with current stats.
I want to increase complexity and production chains on my game, so the reason to use your mods, angels and a couple other that make the game more complex and challenging.
The current stats of the modules just ended in one of 2 scenarios for me: not use them or so powerful that I was not required to build big. But I want to also play with modules and beacons mechanics so I nerfed them to vanilla stats.

Besides the OP stats, I just love the mod. Makes me to actually having to work for modules and makes them more expensive as they should be! (Vanilla modules are too cheap and too easy to produce)
Unfortunately, the only real solution is to use the config screen to edit the stats. that or override them manually on a module per module basis in your own mod.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:
nagapito wrote:

Unfortunately, the only real solution is to use the config screen to edit the stats. that or override them manually on a module per module basis in your own mod.
Bahhh, I will not bother, me and the few people that actually use it can just manually change it :)

I only asked because I could be missing something that allowed it but from what I had seen, I was already expecting that would not be possible unless I do some code-fu that is way overkill for for just such a simple thing used by a dozen people if such.

Lets not waste more of your precious time with this non-issue ;)

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

You should probably change the color of the gem ore on the map, since it is the same color as uranium. Perhaps a nice ruby red?

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

bobingabout wrote:
arbarbonif wrote:The hotkeys for changing the orientation of inserters seems messed up in the .15 version. In the controls menu it only shows an option for changing output, not input, direction. Without any researches it works as advertised (though you can't change input), but if you research more inserters it starts messing up. It ends up changing both the input and output in weird (though deterministic) ways. The UI is working fine tho.
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Shift + L changes input range
Shift + N changes output range.

They both work as intended

Shift and R rotates the input location, as it sugests, however, it also triggers base games R for rotate at the same time, so things seem messed up.
Yeah, it is doing reverse rotation (which is new and default mapped to Shift-R), when I remapped that it started working as expected again.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:( fin bug
not work in bobmodules_0.15.2
Attachments
2017-05-01_21-08-38.jpg
2017-05-01_21-08-38.jpg (120.78 KiB) Viewed 7139 times

Codex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codex »

bobingabout wrote:
Codex wrote:Hey Bob,

when you found out how to fix that pesky icon_size problem please tell me. I'm supporting a mod (DistancePlus) and get the same error (although all my icons are 32x32)...
I already tried to add an "icon_size" property but I dont know the syntax.
It assumes a square, so it's literally just icon_size = 32.
Ok... did that, but it does not fix the problem... You wrote that you assume its a base game bug? So nothing to do about it right now, right?

Cheers,
Codex

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Airat9000 wrote::( fin bug
It looks like you're running another mod there that is adding a whole lot of "effect transmission" technologies. and strangely, the other mod is changing effect transmission to require effect transmission 2.
Codex wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

when you found out how to fix that pesky icon_size problem please tell me. I'm supporting a mod (DistancePlus) and get the same error (although all my icons are 32x32)...
Ok... did that, but it does not fix the problem... You wrote that you assume its a base game bug? So nothing to do about it right now, right?

Cheers,
Codex
icon_size = 32,
that's what I put under the icon line, it works. if it doesn't, I sugest you post in the modding help section.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:
Airat9000 wrote::( fin bug
It looks like you're running another mod there that is adding a whole lot of "effect transmission" technologies. and strangely, the other mod is changing effect transmission to require effect transmission 2.
Codex wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

Cheers,
Codex
icon_size = 32,
that's what I put under the icon line, it works. if it doesn't, I sugest you post in the modding help section.
fins bug in mod
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/dyonisos ... %20Beacons

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Oooohh, this took all day, but I just released the logistics mod.
As usual, line up the bug reports, I'll deal with them when able.

Now I'm going to bed.
I also have a Patreon.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

alien science pack ;p Only one tech though. bob-robotics-4

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

oLaudix wrote:alien science pack ;p Only one tech though. bob-robotics-4
Fixed.

Now I'm really going to bed.
I also have a Patreon.

Randonx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Randonx »

Anybody else still having errors with Bob's Logistics?

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Randonx wrote:Anybody else still having errors with Bob's Logistics?
Define errors....
bobingabout wrote:Oooohh, this took all day, but I just released the logistics mod.
As usual, line up the bug reports, I'll deal with them when able.

Now I'm going to bed.
Holy s.... you are the best!
This is going much faster then I expected!

Maybe I should finally start poking other devs to confirm if they are going to update or I need to start getting my hands dirty

Randonx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Randonx »

Nevermind, my Bob's Logistics didn't update after he fixed the Alien Science Pack bug, it's working now.

Ayyno
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ayyno »

Metals, Chemicals, and Intermediates causes errors with Angel's Refining and Angel's Infinite Ores. Also causes problems with Aircraft.

Copied from Alav's post on the mod portal for visibility:

angelsrefining - Angel's Refining (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Arch666A ... lsrefining)
angelsrefining/prototypes/override-functions.lua:283: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

angelsinfiniteores - Angel's Infinite Ores (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Arch666A ... finiteores)
angelsinfiniteores/data.lua:213: ...gelsinfiniteores__/prototypes/generation/bob-options.lua:4: attempt to call field 'add_item_to_resource' (a nil value)

Aircraft - Aircraft (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/SuicidalKid/Aircraft)
Aircraft/data.lua:7: Aircraft/prototypes/recipe-updates.lua:3: attempt to call field 'replace_recipe_item' (a nil value)

Thanks for all the hard work, Bobingabout!

Yann20x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yann20x »

Ayyno wrote:Metals, Chemicals, and Intermediates causes errors with Angel's Refining and Angel's Infinite Ores. Also causes problems with Aircraft.
I believe Bob already mentioned that this is not an issue with MCI but the library mod itself. Bob already fixed what needed to be fixed, we now need to wait until
Angel (and whoever did the Aircraft mod, sorry not using it haha) update their own mods.

This is always how it's gonna be if mods depend on large libraries. The libraries need to be updated first before anyone else can start fixing their own stuff.
Be patient!

Ayyno
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ayyno »

Ha ha, I'm being patient. Just wanted to make sure that issue got seen.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ayyno wrote:Metals, Chemicals, and Intermediates causes errors with Angel's Refining and Angel's Infinite Ores. Also causes problems with Aircraft.

Copied from Alav's post on the mod portal for visibility:

angelsrefining - Angel's Refining (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Arch666A ... lsrefining)
angelsrefining/prototypes/override-functions.lua:283: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

angelsinfiniteores - Angel's Infinite Ores (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Arch666A ... finiteores)
angelsinfiniteores/data.lua:213: ...gelsinfiniteores__/prototypes/generation/bob-options.lua:4: attempt to call field 'add_item_to_resource' (a nil value)

Aircraft - Aircraft (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/SuicidalKid/Aircraft)
Aircraft/data.lua:7: Aircraft/prototypes/recipe-updates.lua:3: attempt to call field 'replace_recipe_item' (a nil value)

Thanks for all the hard work, Bobingabout!
For Angel's mods, Yes, waiting for Angel.

For Aircraft, he needs to update his mod to change "replace_recipe_item" to "recipe.replace_ingredient".
It's part of my updated library.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”