Strange effects of extreme speed or productivity bonuses?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

alienwombat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Strange effects of extreme speed or productivity bonuses?

Post by alienwombat »

This isn't really related to Bob's mods, but it is probably only relevant if you are using Bob's modules, so i'm asking here.
I read that very extreme bonuses could lead to some strange effects or have some limitations. I'm hoping someone can confirm how things are really working. Here is how i currently think it is:

For speed: There is a limit, that only 1 craft can finish each tick. So using more bonuses does not help anymore, but has no negative effects either.
For Productivity: There is a limit, that only 1 bonus item can be completed each craft. As with speed, having more doesn't help, but won't hurt either.

My assumption about productivity is probably false. It would mean, that at most 100% productivity bonus is useful, and i just can't believe that...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Strange effects of extreme speed or productivity bonuses?

Post by bobingabout »

it's actually 1 bonus item per tick for productivity, so it's possible to have a crafting speed that only gives 1 craft per 60 ticks, or 1 second, but have 6000% productivity giving 1 item per tick.

there was also a roll over bug where it was possible to get negative speed etc by using too many modules. I think they added an upper limit to stop that in a recent patch.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

alienwombat wrote: As with speed, having more doesn't help, but won't hurt either.
You would still suffer the full amount of any penalty (increased pollution, increased energy cost) though, even if the bonusses are clipped.

alienwombat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alienwombat »

bobingabout wrote:it's actually 1 bonus item per tick for productivity, so it's possible to have a crafting speed that only gives 1 craft per 60 ticks, or 1 second, but have 6000% productivity giving 1 item per tick.

there was also a roll over bug where it was possible to get negative speed etc by using too many modules. I think they added an upper limit to stop that in a recent patch.
Well, thats quite unexpected... So a higher speed would actually reduce the benefit of all that productivity in such cases.
If i had to guess, that's just caused by something like that:

Code: Select all

if (bonus > 1.0) {
  bonus -= 1
  makeOneExtraItem()
}
Which is of course quite reasonable if you have the vanilla modules in mind.

Derringer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derringer »

If i had to guess, that's just caused by something like that:
That's exactly what's going on if you watch the bonus_progress property. The excess bonus_progress above 1 remains, and if the assembler's speed is dropped far enough then the accrued bonus_progress will continue to be dumped out at a rate of 1/tick until it drops below 1. The machine has to be active in order to drain buffered bonus_progress; if it stops, it stops.

Return to “Bob's mods”