Licence for recipe webservice

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

stiefel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Licence for recipe webservice

Post by stiefel »

Hi,

I'm planning to create a website similar to https://factorio.rotol.me. Meaning displaying the different recipes, tech-tree an buildings. The problem with the aforementioned website is, that it is pretty outdated. Although showing the different product names IMHO wouldn't be a licence violation, but showing the pictures as well, which to be honest would increase the presentation value, might fall into the "redistribution" category. To be a friendly neighbor I wanted to ask for permission for such a project, even if it is very early (I've just started to tinker with the data extraction), and might never see the light.

We can discuss details in PM, but unfortunately this is my first post thus I can't send any. :(

Cheers,
stiefel

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Licence for recipe webservice

Post by bobingabout »

stiefel wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:40 pm
Hi,

I'm planning to create a website similar to https://factorio.rotol.me. Meaning displaying the different recipes, tech-tree an buildings. The problem with the aforementioned website is, that it is pretty outdated. Although showing the different product names IMHO wouldn't be a licence violation, but showing the pictures as well, which to be honest would increase the presentation value, might fall into the "redistribution" category. To be a friendly neighbor I wanted to ask for permission for such a project, even if it is very early (I've just started to tinker with the data extraction), and might never see the light.

We can discuss details in PM, but unfortunately this is my first post thus I can't send any. :(

Cheers,
stiefel
My licence actually states that redistribution in an unaltered state is allowed.
Although it doesn't explicitly allow for this specific case, I will allow it. I mean, the usual request I make from people who want to use my graphical assets in their mod is just to mention that they're from my mod. The website will be saying it's in bob's mods anyway, so that's fine.

Are you going to consider the full recipe possibility list, or just the "All mods installed" state? EG, modules. if the electronics mod is installed, they'll cost electronic components to craft instead of electronic circuits. or there's options for robot frames in logistics, if it's turned on, robots will cost a robot frame, but if it isn't, they'll cost batteries, metal and circuits and the like.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

stiefel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by stiefel »

Although it doesn't explicitly allow for this specific case, I will allow it.
Thank you very much!
Are you going to consider the full recipe possibility list, or just the "All mods installed" state?
I'm not sure yet. It would be nice to have checkboxes, and depending on what has been selected different recipes would be shown. To do that either I would have to change the original idea of "load the mods into a headless server and dump the info" to something more sophisticated method like actually executing the scripts which is kinda meh, cos I most likely had to re-implement some of the lua objects which are provided by the game itself.

I still have to familiarize myself with the framework and how things work, but lets see how far I get and how long will it take.

bhdeale
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bhdeale »

A tool like this seems pretty useful, did you get any prototype done you can show off or some mockups?

Return to “Bob's mods”