Recipe overides mod ideas

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Recipe overides mod ideas

Post by bobingabout »

A few people have said that they would like me to replace recipes from the base game with (more realistic) alternatives that use components from my mod. Rather than do that inside my MCI mod, I said I'd consider doing it as a seperate mod in a similar style to the Electronics overide mod.

So throw your ideas and sugestions at me!

A few that I had been thinking of already include:
Sealed Lead Acid Battery: The recipe of the battery from the base game, and the fact that it can be recharged leads me to think it is supposed to be a Lead Acid based type of battery, but since there is no lead in the base game, uses Iron instead. So I'd replace the Iron plates with Lead plates.
Plastic from Petroleum gas and coal seems to have been done more for game ballance than for practicallity, I'd consider replacing this to be made from heavy oil instead.

Thats it from me for now, so go ahead and list your ideas and sugestions!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Recipe overides mod ideas

Post by Degraine »

At a guess, I would say that vanilla plastic is being produced from phenol obtained from both coal tar and petroleum gas. Probably a game balance thing as you say, since it could be produced from either of those sources alone.

WRT laser turrets, I would prefer a supercapacitor rather than a battery ingredient myself, since the charge/discharge cycle is so rapid and repeated. I did a bit of research and it looks like you've already got all the ingredients necessary to make double-layer (basically, carbon), pseudocapacitance (iron ore/titanium sulfide, water and sulfuric acid) or hybrid (carbon and lithium-ion) supercaps. So there's that.

Supercaps might also be handy for some manner of railgun, down the line (hint hint).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

One of the things I was thinking of adding, then basically didn't for my electronics was Capacitors. if you notice there's Resistors, Transistors and ICs and CPUs. Making Capacitors as well for this sort of thing is doable, but I for now I was thinking of sticking to overiding things in the base game with things already in my mod, without adding new items just to make an overide for it.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Fair enough! I don't really have anything to add, besides that.

Moloch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Moloch »

Hi! First of all let me say thanks for your great mods.
I love the idea of different paths to some items in addition to replacing some (like circuits) outright. This is already implemented in the alternate paths to sulfuric acid and solder. It could also work well with lubricant (tungsten sulfide) or batteries (lead based). The Treefarm mod which synergizes well with yours already provides different paths to coal and plastics. I think this approach will allow for choice in the midgame, where you dont have the time and ressources to necessarily cover all ores, so you can pick and choose recepies to match the ressources you encounter, at least to a degree.

If you wanted to take this a step further, you could consider to consolidate some of your components into more general descriptions. For example lightweight gear wheels could be made from either titanium or aluminum, or cut down on the number of different pipes (normal pipes could be made from either bronze or iron). This could help eliminate a few dead ends or items that can only be used in one specific and obscure building.

Overall i think another total replacement mod on the level of your electronics override might be a bit too much, as you would be stuck in the early game even longer. I think your approach of adding more complexity into the late game is working great.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, as with Electronics overide, you wouldn't be required to use it, but it is there for those who want more of a challenge. Having said that, I don't plan on bumping the difficulty up too much for early game, so some things like the batteries that require lead, well, you can get Galena in the starting area, and can smelt the lead ore into lead plates just as easy as iron, so the difficulty factor isn't increased, but the complexitiy factor is. I'd be aiming for similar changes for most of the overides.
I also have a Patreon.

sapog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sapog »

how about electric engines? irl all machines contain huge number of electric engines, solenoids, hydraulics and pneumatics, but in factorio we can't craft this for ours factorys.
and belt, its moving things without any energy consuming. this is very unrealistic, i think.
also i want to see something like a splitter with separation function, some compact device for sorting item on conveyor belt.
great mods, bob, i very liked!
and sorry for my language, i illiterate

sapog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sapog »

another idea, different cost for machine parts accourding to tech level.
for example, i need some part for many machines, and i can craft it 3 ways: with primitive circuit and lot of some rare resource; with advanced circuit and small amount of this resource; with processing unit quite without this resource.
you can deal silver as rare resource, and says: "lot of silver need for relay contacts".

Return to “Bob's mods”