Fluid Furnace issue

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Fluid Furnace issue

Post by bobingabout »

Due to the "Automatic Recipe choice" system of a furnace, I chose to make a "Void pump", which might be named Gas venting pump or similar in my bobplates/MCI/Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod, that automatically deletes (A recipe that turns into item "void" with 0% probability) certain gasses that enter, by creating a Furnace with a fluid box, and unique crafting category.

Where you get the error of "Coal cannot be smelted" when trying to place coal in the inventory slot of a standard furnace, and the game doesn't let the item enter the slot. The problem is, you do not get such errors, or filtering when a fluid tries to enter the furnace, the fluid enters the entity... and nothing happens, except because the fluid box has one fluid in it already, nothing else can enter. The only action is to deconstruct and reconstruct the entity to clear the fluid box.

So... Don't let fluids flow into a furnace if that fluid can't be "Smelted"?

For reference, the entity in question is in this mod. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4130
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fluid Furnace issue

Post by bobingabout »

Nobody has anything to say?
I also have a Patreon.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Well, this is just the way the fluidboxes work, fluids will fow into any adjacent fluid box regardless of the recipe

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I suppose that does make some sense, but then you'd have to look at 2 other things that you can look at that make you ask why.

Furnaces, have an item slot that appears open to put multiple types of item in there, but it still limits them to things within it's recipes.
And other machines, such as those based on an assembling machine (Assenbling machines, chemical plants, and oil refinery) also have fluid boxes, which only take the fluid for the chosen recipe.

So looking at those 2 things, you'd think that a furnace with a fluid box would be filtered too.
I also have a Patreon.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

bobingabout wrote:I suppose that does make some sense, but then you'd have to look at 2 other things that you can look at that make you ask why.

Furnaces, have an item slot that appears open to put multiple types of item in there, but it still limits them to things within it's recipes.
And other machines, such as those based on an assembling machine (Assenbling machines, chemical plants, and oil refinery) also have fluid boxes, which only take the fluid for the chosen recipe.

So looking at those 2 things, you'd think that a furnace with a fluid box would be filtered too.
Right, but those already have their recipe defined, whereas the fluid furnace wouldn't have a recipe until the fluid is in the furnace

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Klonan wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I suppose that does make some sense, but then you'd have to look at 2 other things that you can look at that make you ask why.

Right, but those already have their recipe defined, whereas the fluid furnace wouldn't have a recipe until the fluid is in the furnace
You could argue the same with a furnace and an item, yet it still blocks it the insertion of the item.

I don't want to continue an argument though, so, you should probably file this under "not a bug" or something.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Klonan wrote:

That's the same issue that comes to light if you try to smelt things from a mixed belt, doing this with copper and iron only works because they are single input, single amount recipes, wont work if you mix stone in. Something like a smartvalve would be cool, which has several inputs and can switch around which fluid it lets through depending on logistic or circuit input

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

bobingabout wrote:
Klonan wrote:

You could argue the same with a furnace and an item, yet it still blocks it the insertion of the item.

I don't want to continue an argument though, so, you should probably file this under "not a bug" or something.
Well you are right in a way, items which cannot be smelted cannot be put into the furnace's input slot,
So maybe it should be made more consistent so that fluids that cannot be smelted cannot be put into a furnace

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Klonan wrote:Well you are right in a way, items which cannot be smelted cannot be put into the furnace's input slot,
So maybe it should be made more consistent so that fluids that cannot be smelted cannot be put into a furnace
That's pretty much what I was thinking.
I also have a Patreon.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Well this won't be fixed for now, but maybe in 0.14 if we implement a new way of handling fluids

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

A shame to hear, but also understandable.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Won't fix.”