Left-click Auto-Repeat delay (adjustment) Option

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Left-click Auto-Repeat delay (adjustment) Option

Post by Targa »

One thing that I find most annoying while playing Factorio - I am constantly hearing the "Can't do that Beep" when I'm trying to build stuff. I have a nearly new Logitech G400s, which works flawlessly in every game and application I own, so it's not coming from a broken mouse sending a double-click. The strange thing is that it comes and goes, as if the issue is not always constant. Here's a short video to show you what I'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7gOWNvYPAk

It seems to me that the auto-repeat delay for building things is about 0.25/sec, which is too quick for an old geezer like me. I'd like to see a slider added in the game options so this delay can be adjusted by the user.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Left-click Auto-Repeat delay (adjustment) Option

Post by ssilk »

Well, that looks like a bug. Have you installed mods?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The auto-repeat delay is the game tick speed or every 1/60th of a second it tries to build while you have the mouse pressed.

You'll only hear the "can't build" sound in that instance if you click and while holding the mouse down move the mouse. If you just click and hold without moving the mouse (or your player) you will never hear that sound.

Based off that information and the video it looks like you're moving your mouse every time you click?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

Rseding91 wrote:The auto-repeat delay is the game tick speed or every 1/60th of a second it tries to build while you have the mouse pressed.

You'll only hear the "can't build" sound in that instance if you click and while holding the mouse down move the mouse. If you just click and hold without moving the mouse (or your player) you will never hear that sound.

Based off that information and the video it looks like you're moving your mouse every time you click?
After reading this I did some further testing, and the issue seems to be that if you move the mouse pointer even by 1 pixel while clicking, you'll get the buzzer sound. Indeed the times I get the sound, I'm inadvertently moving the mouse pointer ever so slightly. So perhaps THAT should be the option that's added to the game's settings. I don't have a surgeon's steady hands to make absolutely sure I never move my mouse pointer even slightly when placing an item. If I have to be that careful, it may end up making the game rather tedious.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”