Multi-Floor Factory Space for Vanilla

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Multi-Floor Factory Space for Vanilla

Post by redlabel »

Today I was talking with someone about how the Factorissimo factory concept is interesting although being able to pack so much stuff inside is sort of cheating, but the idea behind it is interesting. At least a way to keep things more tidy.

That is why I suggest to be able to create factory floors and grow our factories vertically instead of horizontally. This would be done using pillars (with max distance between them like light posts) and putting concrete over it.

There would be a new item called "elevator" that works like underground conveyor belts but take the items to the higher floors. You could do this by either making those things raise one level at a time or create special elevators that selectively take part of the load to one floor and the rest to another like it happens with splitters.

Factories would not save you total space, but would save you horizontal footprint. So instead of having lets say 100 steam engines layed out one next ot another you could have 4 levels of 5x5 engines for example. The floor space could be as large as you want as long as you use enough concrete and pillars to sustain the above weight. You could even make most of your factory be a two floor thing. Imagine that pillars have to be 10 spaces apart for example to hold weight on top.

I think it is an interesting idea and I hope it can be considered for future versions of Factorio.. I see this solution as a bit of an in-between. It adds useful functionality without going as far as Factorissimo does..
✧COMFY FACTORIO✧ - Home of Biter Battles, Fish Defense, Chronotrain.. And More!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multi-Floor Factory Space for Vanilla

Post by ssilk »

Factory in factory are repeating requests. Search for example for factorissimo : search.php?keywords=factorissimo&fid%5B0%5D=6

There are several mods, that use the so called "surfaces" of Factorio, Factorissimo is just one of them.

What comes most near to useful ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10 Hidden Ores
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=30589 Factory Streets / Star Wars like robot factories / Frame Mounting / Modular Production
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”