Have 'fast interaction' mechanic lock direction per click

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Have 'fast interaction' mechanic lock direction per click

Post by malventano »

This was submitted as a bug report and deemed not a bug, so I'm starting a thread here for it to be an improvement suggestion:
malventano wrote:Problem: While running past a bunch of boilers while using the nifty new 'fast' interaction, once you've run out of coal or ore to insert, the continued mouse button press instantly changes to fast remove and instead strips items from the units. This is problematic when manually feeding items like burner mining drills or boilers with fuel, since you potentially end up unknowingly strip some of the units of fuel. I can think of no scenario where this would be the desired result.

Recommended remedy: fast interaction 'direction' should remain static for a given mouse press duration. The transition from fast insert to fast remove should only be possible if the button is lifted and re-pressed.
Accidentally grabbing completed items from factories when the intention was to feed them is annoying. I used to be able to get around it by dragging over with the right mouse button (half stack), but since that has been fixed to now drop the last single item in hand, it then instantly starts grabbing half-stacks of completed items (or fuel) from the item, so if you drag over a circle of furnaces with the right button, it will appear that you are dropping items constantly when you have actually flipped over to *withdrawing* fuel for a bunch of iterations.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Have 'fast interaction' mechanic lock direction per click

Post by Nemoricus »

While I don't use this feature much myself, it's definitely undesirable. If you're using quick insert/removal, it should stay in either the insert or removal state until you release the mouse button.

In fact, the only time that this is a problem is if you're quick inserting down a line of inserters and don't notice that you've run out. So if you've started inserting, it should continue to insert as long as you hold down the mouse button, and then give you a warning tone when you run out and continue to try inserting.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Calling attention to this one again as every time I start a new game and attempt to drag+insert coal across some burner mining drills, I end up extracting instead once my hand is empty.

This isn't much of an issue later in game, but it's really annoying for the early game. There are plenty of other instances in the game where a hold-mouse-button event locks to a particular action (mining trains locks to mining trains and not the tracks beneath them, etc). This one should certainly count as a similar case.
Last edited by malventano on Tue May 16, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I find this confusing as well. Often I want to insert all for example Iron Ore in my inventory and I run along furnaces to insert them but when Ore is exhausted I start picking up plates from furnaces.
Clearly not desired behaviour.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”