Rocket (SILO) Powered Nuclear Strike

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Rocket (SILO) Powered Nuclear Strike

Post by redlabel »

I was thinking today that launching the rocket has always been a bit of a "chore" and brings no real fun besides the science packs..

I thought it would be neat if you could launch a nuclear strike using the silo. This would give another incentive to launch it: PWNAGE.

To keep it simple::

- To launch you insert 5/10 nuclear bombs (up to devs) into the rocket before you launch it.

- You get to choose where the attack will be within a certain radius from SILO.

- Attack blows up an area of 2-3 times the radius of the regular nuke rocket.

Also the attack could consist of 5 regular sized nukes such as:

Here's a quick mockup of what it would look like depending on the nukes used. (Perhaps both 5 and 10 could be an option?)

Additional image showing area of damage. (It could be a circle or 5-10 smaller circles combined into a flower shape)

✧COMFY FACTORIO✧ - Home of Biter Battles, Fish Defense, Chronotrain.. And More!

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rocket (SILO) Powered Nuclear Strike

Post by Aeternus »

Sterilize a biter nest from orbit. Reminds me of the Ion Cannon mod, but a clusternuke might be more fun.

[Edit] Though this is quite a nasty grieving option in multiplayer - clusternuking another player's main factory complex would not be nice.
[Edit2] And also there might be a performance issue involved. I've already seen reports that the game suffers from slowdowns when large amounts of enemies die in a short time. A clusternuke wouldn't exactly help with that...
Last edited by Aeternus on Tue May 02, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by redlabel »

I mean there is something Machiavellianly rewarding in obliterating an enemy who doesn't even see it coming, right?

I know there are mods, although I always like my suggestions for vanilla, as I play multiplayer only.

I do think that the multi strike flower pattern is a nice classy touch too!

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Somehow I like that idea. :D

It should obliterate absolutely everything in the blastwave area... even the resources located there should suffer a certain loss as they are being vaporized and closeby woods should start to burn as well from the radiated heat even outside the blastwave. So you should only use it on huge biter nests in open areas. But that's just my opinion.

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by redlabel »

MeduSalem wrote:Somehow I like that idea. :D

It should obliterate absolutely everything in the blastwave area... even the resources located there should suffer a certain loss as they are being vaporized and closeby woods should start to burn as well from the radiated heat even outside the blastwave. So you should only use it on huge biter nests in open areas. But that's just my opinion.
Well, I don't want to make it so hard to code that dev's discard the idea hah.. I did think of the obliteration thing.. Although removing resources might add more processing power requirements and so on.. In any case it could be something cool enough to make people (in multiplayer) look at the map to see it live from far away ;) - Like the US President Situation Room heh..

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well yeah... the resource loss would basically be a balancing measurement. Every weapon also needs a downside when used... otherwise they become too overpowered, especially if all other weapons have a downside. xD

Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vegemeister »

The solution to multiplayer ICBM griefing is to have the warheads destroyed in flight if the target area is within range of a laser turret belonging to an opposing force.

Your blast patterns are all less efficient than hexagonal packing.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”