Construction Bot priority over Logistic Bot

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Construction Bot priority over Logistic Bot

Post by Aeternus »

With 0.15, structures have become a component for research. This sometimes creates problems if you rely on the bot network to get stuff built. For instance, I put down a few Electric Mine blueprints and expect the construction bots to handle the rest. I've observed however that the Logistics system seems to favor the Logistics bots for access to the goods, which leaves the Construction Bots without their structures in this case, since the Electric Mines ended up as components for the blue research item.

Simple fix: If an item which the Construction bots want appears on the Logistics network, give them priority access to it?

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Construction Bot priority over Logistic Bot

Post by Roxor128 »

This could give you the opposite problem. You have a heap of stuff marked for construction, your construction bots grabbing everything produced, and your later chains getting starved.

Maybe make it a setting the player can toggle? If you're frantically trying to get stuff built, but don't care if research stalls for a bit, switch the logistics system to prioritise construction bots. If all your construction is of low importance to you, switch it to prioritise logistics bots instead.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Typically, you only build a structure once, whereas research tends to be a continuous production chain. If you've marked a heap for construction, wouldn't you want it built asap so it can start producing whatever the heap is meant to start producing?

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Aeternus wrote:Typically, you only build a structure once, whereas research tends to be a continuous production chain. If you've marked a heap for construction, wouldn't you want it built asap so it can start producing whatever the heap is meant to start producing?
Even though it's late (but I was a happy Necromancer in Diablo II anyway ;-)): THIS.

Buffer chests sounded like the solution, but since they got demoted below requester chests, they're not the solution *ANY MORE* (they were, and I was happy). Now I have to go back to hackish logistic/circuit network hacks. :(

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Buffer chests are still the solution to this as far as I can tell (haven't been able to play with them much). The way I understand those, is that only Construction Bots may take stuff out, and Logicstics Bots will only supply the player from those, not Requestor Chests.

So the "Construction over consumption" question can be solved by having your output go in a buffer chest, and from the buffer into a passive provider. Have the inserter that moves from buffer to passive provider set to only be on (use a simple circuit network condition for this) if the buffer chest has ~1 stack of units in there.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”