bulk handcrafting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

bulk handcrafting

Post by dog80 »

atm we first create all intermediates then finish the products which is mostly unhandy because you want to finish products asap instead of waiting for all intermediates to be made first and then the finished products, this results in beeing forced to leftclick spam on the thing and completely removing the option to bulk handcraft things.

it could still be listed as only 2 or however much intermediates it takes but like craft intermediates for 1 product then finish the product then the next intermediates etc... dunno this was always bugging me a bit...

example: i want poles and i want some immediatly but then also have 50 build in advance, i cannot shift click or use rightclick(what is not so worse) but still i have to click it multiple times with left click and then switch to shift/right clicking

regards

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: bulk handcrafting

Post by Koub »

See viewtopic.php?p=409100#p409100.
But will most likely never happen : the devs have been quite constant on the topic of not making hand crafting more convenient to incentivize automation.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

then i believe the devs should play their own game a bit more xDD

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

They have probably played it more that most of us here.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

maybe they can host a factorio-team-speedrun approach

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

When I need something I usually just click at it a few times. Then for frequent items I add a few batches of 5 or a stack for belts. That way I get the first few items directly and only then it crafts in the background.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:21 am
When I need something I usually just click at it a few times. Then for frequent items I add a few batches of 5 or a stack for belts. That way I get the first few items directly and only then it crafts in the background.
sure thats the only way but you forgett that first you right/shiftclick then you realize you need some now - then you cancel the queue - and then proceed as posted...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

That's why I'd rather have a "craft intermediates in real time", instead of a "craft intermediates before hand" when queuing items in the handcraft queue.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

That's why I'd rather have a "craft intermediates in real time", instead of a "craft intermediates before hand" when queuing items in the handcraft queue.
This doesn't seem like a very difficult mod (if it IS moddable). Instead of right click doing a 5-craft, it simply does 5 x single crafts.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobucles wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 am
This doesn't seem like a very difficult mod (if it IS moddable). Instead of right click doing a 5-craft, it simply does 5 x single crafts.
That would be horrible to remove again when you need to craft something else.

There are mods that will automatically craft items if nothing is in the queue and you are below a set amount for the item. Might be nicer to use.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Koub wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:54 pm
But will most likely never happen : the devs have been quite constant on the topic of not making hand crafting more convenient to incentivize automation.
In this thread, alternative ways of discouraging hand-crafting and providing incentives for automation have been discussed, so that the devs can make the hand-crafting interface more convenient.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:20 pm
bobucles wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 am
That would be horrible to remove again when you need to craft something else.

There are mods that will automatically craft items if nothing is in the queue and you are below a set amount for the item. Might be nicer to use.
please guys stay on topic and dont talk about mods that change the handcrafting into anything else, its fine the way it is, its just that intermediates are PRIORITIZED IN BULK and not ONE BY ONE production of queued items...

i know this will get a bit tricky to implement especially if intermediates are produced more than required for one product, but hey devs u got the money u got the time so ffs get it done...

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

idk this is such a basic thing - which makes a ton of sense - i just dont understand how this could be denied with the argument to encourage automation... seems like a false excuse to me tbh

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

and wtf is this i write sth that makes sense to me and all you can do koub is say well bla the devs said somewhere that this is not going to happen and you have to do automation instead, maybe i have my way to play the game which does not require to automate every single fuck in the early game and you could respect that as well, thank you

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

@ encourage automation

why not double gear crafting time - et voila problem solved

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

but instead we get a blurred view through the tech window which sense does that make tbh? the time to implement this *feature could have been used to fix this issue^^

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 pm
please guys stay on topic and dont talk about mods that change the handcrafting into anything else, its fine the way it is, its just that intermediates are PRIORITIZED IN BULK and not ONE BY ONE production of queued items...
Mods are talked about because A: they're a good base-line for establishing that there is demand for a feature, B: Because it gives a possibilities for relieving a frustration that a player may have if a requested feature isn't implemented or in the interim before a feature is implemented.
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 pm
i know this will get a bit tricky to implement especially if intermediates are produced more than required for one product, but hey devs u got the money u got the time so ffs get it done...
You know... since all the factorio devs do is sit on their asses... they're not working to resolve the bugs in 0.17... or any of 100s (1000s?) of other tasks on their lists...
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:02 pm
idk this is such a basic thing - which makes a ton of sense - i just dont understand how this could be denied with the argument to encourage automation... seems like a false excuse to me tbh
As I said in the previous thread that covered similar interest in improving the hand-crafting, I understand and honestly support some improvements to hand-crafting, but I also support doing other things to discourage using hand-crafting. Factorio is a game *about automation*. One of my most satisfying playthrough was honestly my lazy bastard playthrough... everything automated. Everything. The only things I didn't keep stocked and available to be called/picked up on-demand were the things that are only crafted a very limited and fairly well known number of times, such as power armor.
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:03 pm
and wtf is this i write sth that makes sense to me and all you can do koub is say well bla the devs said somewhere that this is not going to happen and you have to do automation instead, maybe i have my way to play the game which does not require to automate every single fuck in the early game and you could respect that as well, thank you
That's literally what mods are for. Wube is going to make a game for a specific vision. They have what they want the game to be about. If you're interested in some of what factorio has to offer, but don't want to play the game as Wube envisioned it... mods are used to customize the experience to your liking. And Wube can't make the game fit exactly every person out there wants. They cannot literally tailor make a new version of the game to fit every person's interest, they have to make choices about what to implement and what not to implement. They do not, in fact, have unlimited resources and man-hours. And it's not disrespect, it's just reality. There's no way around it.
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:05 pm
@ encourage automation

why not double gear crafting time - et voila problem solved
That... what? The doesn't actually resolve anything.
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:07 pm
but instead we get a blurred view through the tech window which sense does that make tbh? the time to implement this *feature could have been used to fix this issue^^
Once again, easily argued as not actually an issue. The game is working exactly as Wube is interested in having it work. If you disagree, awesome. Find a mod. But you should acknowledge that Wube has a particular vision for where they want the game to go, and learn to respect that.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

its quite asounding how most forum users react to a simple feature suggestion
> make a mod and shut up ( making mods is obviously very easy and a quick thing to do so everyone can play their own game ) ( mem i play multiplayer herp derp )
> Wube is the perfect game maker ( there is nothing to criticize on implemented features it is perfect game design because wube is the most perfect game developer of all tim )

guys xD hilarours

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by boran_blok »

in the same way it is quite astounding how some forum users react to receiving a negative answer on their feature suggestion.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

boran_blok wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:03 pm
in the same way it is quite astounding how some forum users react to receiving a negative answer on their feature suggestion.
so please point out the positive effects of the current bulk handcrafting mechanic i am missing those again :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”