Enter key to create logistic network request.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

wutname1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Enter key to create logistic network request.

Post by wutname1 »

TL;DR
When requesting items from the logistics network enable the "Enter" key to confirm the window.
What ?
As it is currently (0.18.13) when you type in the number of items you want to request or trash and hit enter it simply removes focus from the input field. My suggestion is that if the input field does not have focus have the enter key act as a submit button.

Why ?
Creates a smoother workflow for quickly requesting a number of items from the network. as you can click robo ports, click into the input field type 55 and hit enter twice in quick succession.

Oedwak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Enter key to create logistic network request.

Post by Oedwak »

I registered just to +1 this. Thanks to OP.

In general, enter key should be confirmation for anything to keep a consistent keyboard interface. Understood this is WIP and this is probably a polish item.

[edit]

Close window key "E" by default would be great from my point of view. Game already differentiates between that and "esc" key, which can be used to cancel as opposed to apply. May not be consistent with rest of UI though.

The real goal is to keep from having to move either hand from keyboard or mouse during the workflow, however that's accomplished (not counting typing numbers).

Oedwak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Oedwak »

This was done with 0.18.15, probably without reading this thread as the change was pretty obviously needed :D
Changes

* ENTER key can now be used to confirm the small "Set request" pop-up windows.
Can't begin to express how impressed I am with the Factorio development team and this project. This said as a veteran software developer with 30+ years of experience. If anyone reads this buried post - thanks!

prdfndr
Inserter
Inserter

Have "enter" to set up logistic request

Post by prdfndr »

Right we have to click the check button. Being able to just press "enter" would make it easier.
set request.jpg
set request.jpg (38.02 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged with same idea - ssilk

See also

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82654 Keyboard entry for new “set request" pop-up windows (and requests, and combinators)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

Erm ...

I am able to confirm&close that dialogue with the enter button. You need to press 2 times. First closes the dialogue of amount selection, second closes the dialogue for the item.

But you are right at another point. The menu is awesome, but controlling the menu is little uncomfortable:
1 When button E would be accepted as confirmation, one could type mostly everything with only the left hand; right hand could stay on the mouse.
2 When dialogue is opened and
2.1 item was not set, after choosing an item the cursor should jump to input count
2.2 item was already set, the cursor should jump to input count AND the previous amount in "text selected" mode, for that typing in a new amount would not require you to mark or delete the current amount by hand.

If someone would post the correct technical denominations for these technical terms (like "in text selected mode") I tried to describe, I will edit my post.

wutname1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wutname1 »

I posted this during 0.18.14 and it was added in 0.18.15....

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

tamanous wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:45 am
I am able to confirm&close that dialogue with the enter button. You need to press 2 times. First closes the dialogue of amount selection, second closes the dialogue for the item.
It was not my target to compare the suggestions. Both have their pros and cons. The link is to enhance discussion and it was just random that it was my suggestion. But I admit that I cannot fight against the fact, that I remember my suggestion a little bit more, than others. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

I did like the additional info, but for me
wutname1 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 pm
[...] it was added in 0.18.15.
closed the discussion in this topic, though I feel you wondering that your post didn't receive that much answers.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”