Higher-priority capacitors?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Higher-priority capacitors?

Post by MF- »

Are higher-priority or adjustable-priority capacitors planned?

I want a solar-only power plant, where coal power kicks in only for creeper attacks.
My capacitors always show full charge bar lit, even during the creeper attacks (and their capacity is thus unused)

Here go some unrelated thoughts, one per paragraph

I wonder how it would look like if the capacitors had higher priority than coal power. (They would charge only from excess solar power... hmm.. not good for early adopters)

What about two versions of capacitors
- faster for smoothing-out power consumption spikes caused by turrets (low capacity, high maximal current)
- slower for saving the solar energy (higher capacity, but low maximal current; sounds more like batteries to me)

The capacitors seem to have enough circuits in the recipe to have a switch or perhaps even a variable/fixed threshold ( charge > XX% => higher priority, charge < XX% => lower priority )
Adjusting any of those on all my capacitors would be pretty annoying, though :/.

What about remembering (somehow) how much charge of a capacitor originates from solar (and displaying that by colors on the charge bar) and giving stored solar power the same priority as the regular solar.
Nah.. wouldn't work. My capacitors would be filled by coal energy and stop working. Argh.

Some sort of power measurement - to - circuit network and circuit network - to - power breaker device?
Then I would simply connect the coal powerplants to the network when the capacitors fully discharge.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Higher-priority capacitors?

Post by ficolas »

hope so, capacitors have a really small capacity...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

ficolas wrote:hope so, capacitors have a really small capacity...
My capacitors never go below 10 green squares, capacity is rather irrelevant when I cannot use it.

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by andzoak »

My capacitors discharges at night during creeper attack. So I need to build it more. Interesting is that at day I havn't blackouts ;) I think everything can by solve by building enough of accumulators but two types of capacitors is interesting idea.

I think, that more important is optimization of the game which allow us to make more staff and don't think about kind of capacitor.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

it IS possible to make capacitors a higher-priority energy source with a trick.
he even has a rough measurement of the solar:capacitor area ratio.

All in this post:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 5432#p5432

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”