Reversible train signals and stops

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Reversible train signals and stops

Post by Nemoricus »

Sometimes, the "right-hand rule" for stops and signals is not desirable, particularly if you're building in tight spaces and you need the signal or stop on one side to fit nicely. So, I request that train stops and signals be reversible, where hitting "R" switches the orientation of the stop or signal.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Reversible train signals and stops

Post by katyal »

If this were done (and I'm not necessarily saying it shouldn't) then the sprites for the signals would need to be changed so that it would be easy at a glance to tell if a signal was:
  • Left-placed & left drive
  • Left-placed & right drive
  • Right-placed & right drive
  • Right-placed & left drive
People have enough trouble wrapping their minds around signals as it is without the added burden of having to go signal to signal making sure they are all appropriately set.

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

On the regular rail in these cases there is always a small sign in the place of the reversed signal.

Here is an example:
Attachments
EU07%202009-02-16%2002-10-26-86.jpg
EU07%202009-02-16%2002-10-26-86.jpg (302.1 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

katyal wrote:If this were done (and I'm not necessarily saying it shouldn't) then the sprites for the signals would need to be changed so that it would be easy at a glance to tell if a signal was:
Naturally. And in fact, making it more obvious that the signals have directionality would be a good thing in and of itself, specifically to alleviate the confusion you mentioned. It's not obvious that switching sides of the track changes the directions the signals work in.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”