Improve the clarity of location pings

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Improve the clarity of location pings

Post by SupplyDepoo »

Just look at this screenshot from my game yesterday:
chat-pings.png
chat-pings.png (242.24 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Can you understand who's pinging where? (There were more pings that aren't shown in the chat window when I took this screenshot.) It's not made easier by the fact that clicking on the chat link automatically hides the chat, and that the map moves and changes zoom level instantly (that last part is more of an issue in regular games with big maps, because you have not enough context at that close zoom level). This isn't even one of the worst examples, it's just the most recent before I decided to make a suggestion post about it.

I have three suggestions to address this (in my opinion) rather obvious UX problem:
  • When hovering over a chat link with the map already open, add an extra highlight outline to the corresponding map marker, and vice versa.
  • When hovering over a chat link with the map closed, show an arrow at the screen edge toward that direction, like you've done with alerts.
  • Add an interface option to disable automatic zoom and automatic closing of the chat window, or some modifier key combo to prevent it.

Dmytrozern
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Improve the clarity of location pings

Post by Dmytrozern »

I have no problems with functionality, but the graphics of the marker itself could be updated to something nicer. Even just removing the circle is better.
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Improve the clarity of location pings

Post by ickputzdirwech »

+ 1. Maybe there could be some way of telling which player made which ping and in which order. Different colors and a small counter for example
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”